Opinion, Staff Editorial

Rave smart, take care of others this weekend

This weekend is the annual Ultra Music Festival, the massively popular EDM festival in Downtown Miami’s Bayfront Park. If you aren’t going, then you probably know people who are. And of those of you who are going, you absolutely know people who are planning on attending the music festival under the influence of cheap alcohol or expensive drugs. It happens. Denying this fact is dangerously ignorant.

Preaching not to use recreational drugs this weekend will probably be just as effective as abstinence-only sex education, but we urge students to be smart and safe with their decisions. Ultra has historically had a problem with safety concerns.

Last year, a UM student died due to a lethal mix of drugs. In a recent statement to students, Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely wrote, “We must take care of one another to ensure we do not lose another member of our community.”

The experience of taking recreational drugs in a hectic environment such as Ultra, particularly for first-time users, can be especially dangerous. Whether or not attendees plan on using any substances, it is responsible to research the effects of commonly used drugs, travel with a group of trustworthy friends and set an established meeting place within the event if anything happens.

Have phone chargers and plenty of hydrating fluids on hand. Do not take water and substances from strangers. Most importantly, pay attention to the people around you and recognize when they are pushing their limits. Being prepared not only for one’s own safety, but also for the sake of taking care of fellow attendees, should be a priority.

The university urges students to reach out to the proper resources, and there is an amnesty policy in the student handbook for medical emergencies, in which students can reach out to Housing and Residential Life, 911 or on-campus police at 8-6666.

Ultra itself is notorious for its lax security, bad traffic management and lack of access to free water. Even with its history of danger and safety issues, Ultra is ill-equipped to tend to the well-being of its large crowds. Its ticketing terms and conditions state that it holds no responsibility for any theft or personal injury at the event.

You’re on your own out there, so rave smart.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board. 

Editorial Board

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...