Opinion, Staff Editorial

Rave smart, take care of others this weekend

This weekend is the annual Ultra Music Festival, the massively popular EDM festival in Downtown Miami’s Bayfront Park. If you aren’t going, then you probably know people who are. And of those of you who are going, you absolutely know people who are planning on attending the music festival under the influence of cheap alcohol or expensive drugs. It happens. Denying this fact is dangerously ignorant.

Preaching not to use recreational drugs this weekend will probably be just as effective as abstinence-only sex education, but we urge students to be smart and safe with their decisions. Ultra has historically had a problem with safety concerns.

Last year, a UM student died due to a lethal mix of drugs. In a recent statement to students, Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely wrote, “We must take care of one another to ensure we do not lose another member of our community.”

The experience of taking recreational drugs in a hectic environment such as Ultra, particularly for first-time users, can be especially dangerous. Whether or not attendees plan on using any substances, it is responsible to research the effects of commonly used drugs, travel with a group of trustworthy friends and set an established meeting place within the event if anything happens.

Have phone chargers and plenty of hydrating fluids on hand. Do not take water and substances from strangers. Most importantly, pay attention to the people around you and recognize when they are pushing their limits. Being prepared not only for one’s own safety, but also for the sake of taking care of fellow attendees, should be a priority.

The university urges students to reach out to the proper resources, and there is an amnesty policy in the student handbook for medical emergencies, in which students can reach out to Housing and Residential Life, 911 or on-campus police at 8-6666.

Ultra itself is notorious for its lax security, bad traffic management and lack of access to free water. Even with its history of danger and safety issues, Ultra is ill-equipped to tend to the well-being of its large crowds. Its ticketing terms and conditions state that it holds no responsibility for any theft or personal injury at the event.

You’re on your own out there, so rave smart.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board. 

Editorial Board

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...