The uneasy relationship between Trump, scientific progress

Historically, a healthy dose of skepticism has been fundamental to sophisticated scientific thought. This skepticism demands that new hypotheses are rigorously tested before they can be accepted. Skeptics do not deny that obtaining scientific knowledge about the universe is possible; they simply require that new ideas meet certain criteria prior to being accepted. Unfortunately, a new wave of skepticism that questions the project of science as a whole has gained political influence.

The Trump administration’s attitude toward climate change shows how influential this repudiation of scientific reasoning can be. An example of this aggressive strain of skepticism can be seen anywhere from the Trump administration’s decision to ban the term “climate change” on government websites to Trump’s cabinet picks. For instance, doubts surrounding human influence on climate permeated much of U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson’s confirmation hearing.

A common argument climate change deniers use is that, prior to Copernicus, scientists believed in a geocentric model of the universe. Therefore, global warming could be wrong too and should not be accepted.

Although the statement is factually accurate, the possibility of a theory being proved wrong exists for all scientific theories. If we are going to reject corroborated theories because they could be disproved in the future, then it follows that all scientific theories should be disregarded. Science is an inductive pursuit, leaving no theory safe from future refutation based on its logic. Seemingly benign arguments like the geocentric analogy tacitly include sentiments that doubt the process of science itself.

The philosopher David Hume once wrote, “A wise man proportions his beliefs to the evidence.” This non-controversial conception of rationality is what eludes the Trump administration. The doctrine of the Trump administration is not one of theories failing to meet certain criteria, but one that questions whether scientific discoveries themselves are credible.

Sure, it is possible that climate change can become falsified in the future, but the current evidence overwhelmingly suggests that it is true. Consequently, it is rational to accept it in the present moment. Those who believed in a geocentric model of the universe before the Copernican Revolution weren’t irrational, but those who continued to hold the belief after Copernicus’ discovery became sufficiently corroborated were.

Matthew Brotz is a junior majoring in philosophy.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Alex Antropov

Matthew Brotz

5 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “The uneasy relationship between Trump, scientific progress”

1. As a person in the field of Yunnan, following last week’s bait silk, homemade oil powder, this week, a new highly diluted oil powder line, the end of the evening, the perfect powder oil. [] as a sinister smile in the field of Yunnan, following the Er Si (traditional food of Yunan) last week,datalogic qbt2400, after the homemade oil powder, this week the new height of thin oil powder noodle,symbol 2208, fried oil powder at the perfect ending. [] because stomach really to waste, not a happy to tos

2. if you happen to have 2 pounds of meat which is how much is enough meat to eat several meals I was attracted to the store of the elegant environment, the show our endorsement also unable to restrain the emotions of Jiangyin store, do some old comrades modest. Great Buddha beings, live simple, don’t be so complicated. Learn tolerance and understanding, learn to be grateful and contentment, learn to care and love, learn to give up and release. The frequency of similar people, even will gather in t

3. zebra ds6708 says:

if you happen to have 2 pounds of meat which is how much is enough meat to eat several meals I was attracted to the store of the elegant environment, the show our endorsement also unable to restrain the emotions of Jiangyin store, do some old comrades modest. Great Buddha beings, live simple, don’t be so complicated. Learn tolerance and understanding,zebra ds6708, learn to be grateful and contentment, learn to care and love, learn to give up and release. The frequency of similar people, even wil

4. Jason says:

Old lady, you need to take a little less fake news before spewing your drivel

5. Diane says:

Young man, you need to take a little geophysics before writing your own opinion driven drivel, that IS NOT science based.

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...