Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes are No. 8 seed going into NCAA Tournament

The University of Miami is officially set to play in the big dance.

The Hurricanes have been selected as an eight seed for the NCAA Tournament and will face off against the nine-seed Michigan State Spartans on Friday in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

“I’m just absolutely happy to be back in the tournament,” senior captain Davon Reed said. “Great feeling to hear your name called. It really wasn’t a guessing game today, which we were grateful for. We pretty much knew we were a lock.”

Miami (21-11) is coming off a regular season in which many believed it overachieved, considering its lack of senior experience and just nine scholarship athletes playing. After a slow start that had people wondering whether they would even make the tournament, the Canes closed the season strong, getting signature wins against North Carolina, Virginia and Duke.

“I still don’t even think we have played our best basketball yet, that’s the best part about it,” Reed said. “We can start to get the ball rolling right now.”

Michigan State (19-14) is coming off an up-and-down year for its standards. The Spartans started the season ranked No. 12, but dropped out of the rankings after losses to Arizona, Kentucky and Baylor.

“Tom Izzo is a very good leader for college basketball and has done a great job in creating a national contender every year,” UM Coach Jim Larrañaga said of Michigan State’s coach. “We are looking forward to playing them.”

Hundreds gathered inside the Rathskeller bar on UM’s campus awaiting one decision: where would the committee place the Hurricanes for March Madness?

Students, local fans, donors, members of the Miami athletic department, 560 WQAM Sports Radio and, of course, the Hurricanes basketball players and coaches came together inside the pub to see where the team would land on Selection Sunday. The announcement of the selection was met with cheers from the crowd and smiles across faces.

“I can’t wait, I’m really excited,” said freshman guard Bruce Brown, who experienced his first NCAA Tournament selection. “I’m used to watching it on TV, and now I’m playing in it. At first, I was really nervous [about the selection], but when we came on the screen, it was great to see us up there.”

When speaking about his predictions for the Midwest Region on television, CBS Analyst Seth Davis talked about a Michigan State versus Kansas matchup in the round of 32 – seemingly skipping over Miami as a threat to win in the first round.

On the first commercial break after the announcement, Larrañaga stood up and disputed the prediction in front of the crowd, encouraging fans that Miami will be the team playing Kansas in the second round.

“It gives me some ammunition to talk with my team about,” Larrañaga said. “We need to get the respect of the national media.”

Tip-off will be at 9:20 p.m. in the Bank of Oklahoma Center and can also be seen on TNT.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...