Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes are No. 8 seed going into NCAA Tournament

The University of Miami is officially set to play in the big dance.

The Hurricanes have been selected as an eight seed for the NCAA Tournament and will face off against the nine-seed Michigan State Spartans on Friday in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

“I’m just absolutely happy to be back in the tournament,” senior captain Davon Reed said. “Great feeling to hear your name called. It really wasn’t a guessing game today, which we were grateful for. We pretty much knew we were a lock.”

Miami (21-11) is coming off a regular season in which many believed it overachieved, considering its lack of senior experience and just nine scholarship athletes playing. After a slow start that had people wondering whether they would even make the tournament, the Canes closed the season strong, getting signature wins against North Carolina, Virginia and Duke.

“I still don’t even think we have played our best basketball yet, that’s the best part about it,” Reed said. “We can start to get the ball rolling right now.”

Michigan State (19-14) is coming off an up-and-down year for its standards. The Spartans started the season ranked No. 12, but dropped out of the rankings after losses to Arizona, Kentucky and Baylor.

“Tom Izzo is a very good leader for college basketball and has done a great job in creating a national contender every year,” UM Coach Jim Larrañaga said of Michigan State’s coach. “We are looking forward to playing them.”

Hundreds gathered inside the Rathskeller bar on UM’s campus awaiting one decision: where would the committee place the Hurricanes for March Madness?

Students, local fans, donors, members of the Miami athletic department, 560 WQAM Sports Radio and, of course, the Hurricanes basketball players and coaches came together inside the pub to see where the team would land on Selection Sunday. The announcement of the selection was met with cheers from the crowd and smiles across faces.

“I can’t wait, I’m really excited,” said freshman guard Bruce Brown, who experienced his first NCAA Tournament selection. “I’m used to watching it on TV, and now I’m playing in it. At first, I was really nervous [about the selection], but when we came on the screen, it was great to see us up there.”

When speaking about his predictions for the Midwest Region on television, CBS Analyst Seth Davis talked about a Michigan State versus Kansas matchup in the round of 32 – seemingly skipping over Miami as a threat to win in the first round.

On the first commercial break after the announcement, Larrañaga stood up and disputed the prediction in front of the crowd, encouraging fans that Miami will be the team playing Kansas in the second round.

“It gives me some ammunition to talk with my team about,” Larrañaga said. “We need to get the respect of the national media.”

Tip-off will be at 9:20 p.m. in the Bank of Oklahoma Center and can also be seen on TNT.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached at @isaiah_km.

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team was unable to crack the top eight in th ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...