Student awarded for work with NGO abroad

Photo courtesy Alice Woods

When senior Alice Woods left Cape Town in May 2015 after studying abroad for a semester, she knew she wanted to return. After studying abroad again in spring 2016, she still couldn’t let go of South Africa, so she stayed for three more months.

Woods, a geography and ecosystem science major originally from St. Louis, Missouri, worked with gender justice non-governmental organizations (NGOs) both times she studied in Cape Town. In February, she was recognized for her work in 2016 by IES Abroad as an honorable mention for Global Citizen of the Year.

The award, given out for the first time this year, honors students from around the world who impacted their communities while studying abroad on one of IES’s more than 125 programs.

Woods dove into her work in South Africa, and her NGO, Community Media Trust, threw a project at her in response to her eagerness: write a 40-week curriculum to educate and empower young South African girls ages 12 to 17 who are at risk for HIV. Each lesson taught a certain skill, such as conflict resolution, breast self-examination or how to open a bank account.

If that wasn’t challenging enough, Woods also had to create a broad curriculum that would account for both language barriers and different literacy levels.

“I went into the composition thinking I had a lot of good lessons to teach them,” Woods said. “But what needed to be taught to me at 12 is different than what these 12 year old girls needed to learn.”

Working on the curriculum and traveling around South Africa to implement it taught Woods how to work outside her comfort zone and think of things differently.

“It’s made me try to step back and look at problems from a different point of view and try to understand where people are coming from,” she said.

When she graduates in May, Woods will be attending graduate school for urban planning and hopes to return to South Africa during her career.

Correction, March 9: This article previously stated that IES stood for the Institute of Education Services, which is a different organization. The correct name is IES Abroad. This article also stated that IES honored three students in 2017. The Global Citizen of the Year award honored seven students: one winner, three finalists and three honorable mentions. 

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will conclude its regular season Sunday with a home d ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...