News Briefs 3/9

NEWS BRIEFS 3/9-3/23

Alicia Garza #BlackLivesMatter Lecture

When: 7 p.m. March 9

Where: Student Center Grand Ballroom

Cost: Free

Activist and co-creator of the #BlackLivesMatter (BLM) movement will be featured as a guest lecturer for the University of Miami School of Law’s course on the BLM movement. Garza is expected to speak about the societal issues that created the movement. There will be a question and answer session following Garza’s presentation. The lecture is open to all students and faculty.

When: March 11

Where: The Wolfsonian – FIU

1001 Washington Ave.

Miami Beach, Fla. 33139

Cost: Free-$10

RadioFest, hosted by the Wolfsonian in partnership with Miami’s Public Radio and Television, WLRN and The New Tropic, will be an educational event catered to celebrating radio’s more than century-long existence. The daylong event will consist of various workshops, performances and live talks, including a WLRN pop-up recording booth where radio hosts will record stories live from Miami Beach. Attendees will also be able learn how to transform their mobile devices into analog amplifier radios during workshops. Museum admission is free. Tickets are required for admission to the musical performances. Tickets can be found on the Wolfsonian-FIU website.

TEDxCoconutGrove 2017: Escape

When: March 17

Where: Lewis Family Auditorium

3575 Main Hwy.

Miami, Fla. 33133

Cost: $10-$50

In its fifth year, TEDxCoconutGrove will host a slew of speakers ranging in expertise from music to psychiatry. This year’s presentations will focus on different forms of “escaping” reality and improving mental health through various forms of cerebral stimulation. One of the 12 speakers slated to speak during the event is University of Miami Associate Professor Amishi Jha, who is currently researching forms to strengthen the brain’s attention network. TEDx, a program created by TED, are local, self-organized events meant to engage the community “in a discussion of ideas, to expand perspectives and to make a philanthropic impact.” Tickets for the public day-long event can be found at

Islam Awareness Week

When: March 20-24

Where: Various locations across Gables campus

The Muslim Students at the University of Miami (MSUM) will host a week full of events aimed at educating the UM community about the Islamic faith. The annual event will consist of various events, each with a different theme, held around campus. One of the events, Ask a Muslim, will focus on providing students the opportunity to ask practicing Muslim students questions regarding their faith and religion. See a complete list of the week’s events on here.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

The battle for the University of Miami quarterback job began in earnest with the start of spring pra ...

A six-pack of UM notes from the first day of spring football on Tuesday: • UM’s first-team offensive ...

UM spring practice begins Tuesday with heavy focus on the quarterback, with N’Kosi Perry and Jarren ...

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

We are seeing another sign of a football program’s growing strength and maturation as Mark Richt unf ...

Haitian-born Henri Ford’s incredible journey to the deanship of the Miller School of Medicine. ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The Hurricanes opened spring practice on Tuesday, officially beginning preparations for the 2018 sea ...

University of Miami men's tennis senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were named ...

For the second week in a row, Estela Perez-Somarriba and Ulyana Shirokova of the Miami women's ...

After just one match together, freshman Adria Soriano and senior Christian Langmo earned a top-50 ra ...

After an outstanding outdoor debut, Kayla Johnson sas named ACC Women's Outdoor Field Performer ...