Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Director Amy Deem, sprinter Shakima Wimbley win regional track and field awards

The United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) announced regional award-winners for the 2017 indoor track and field season Monday. The association named University of Miami Coach Amy Deem the South Region Women’s Track and Field Coach of the Year for the second year in a row, and Hurricanes senior Shakima Wimbley the South Region Women’s Track Athlete of the Year.

“It’s an honor to be recognized by your peers, but I have to give credit to our coaching staff and our student-athletes,” Deem told HurricaneSports.com. “They’ve believed in our goals and performed so well this season. I would not be receiving this individual award without our collective efforts to achieve our goals.”

Deem and Wimbley led the Miami Hurricanes, currently ranked No. 12 in the nation, to their second-consecutive ACC Indoor Championship title.

“It’s been an amazing indoor season for me, and I’m very honored to receive this award,” Wimbley told HurricaneSports.com. “I am also so happy for coach Deem. She has been working hard to make sure we are prepared to compete well and achieve our goals. She deserves to be recognized because she is an amazing coach.”

Wimbley will compete in two events at the 2017 NCAA Division I Track and Field Indoor Championships March 10 and 11 at Texas A&M University in College Station. Other Hurricanes competing in the meet are Michelle Atherley, Brittny Ellis, Ebony Morrison and Aiyanna Stiverne. ESPN3 will livestream the event, while ESPN2 will air a re-broadcast at 7 p.m. March 12. For more information, click here.

Chloe Harrison

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...