Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Director Amy Deem, sprinter Shakima Wimbley win regional track and field awards

The United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) announced regional award-winners for the 2017 indoor track and field season Monday. The association named University of Miami Coach Amy Deem the South Region Women’s Track and Field Coach of the Year for the second year in a row, and Hurricanes senior Shakima Wimbley the South Region Women’s Track Athlete of the Year.

“It’s an honor to be recognized by your peers, but I have to give credit to our coaching staff and our student-athletes,” Deem told HurricaneSports.com. “They’ve believed in our goals and performed so well this season. I would not be receiving this individual award without our collective efforts to achieve our goals.”

Deem and Wimbley led the Miami Hurricanes, currently ranked No. 12 in the nation, to their second-consecutive ACC Indoor Championship title.

“It’s been an amazing indoor season for me, and I’m very honored to receive this award,” Wimbley told HurricaneSports.com. “I am also so happy for coach Deem. She has been working hard to make sure we are prepared to compete well and achieve our goals. She deserves to be recognized because she is an amazing coach.”

Wimbley will compete in two events at the 2017 NCAA Division I Track and Field Indoor Championships March 10 and 11 at Texas A&M University in College Station. Other Hurricanes competing in the meet are Michelle Atherley, Brittny Ellis, Ebony Morrison and Aiyanna Stiverne. ESPN3 will livestream the event, while ESPN2 will air a re-broadcast at 7 p.m. March 12. For more information, click here.

Chloe Harrison

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...