Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: John Ross’ record-breaking, island-declining combine performance

The 40-yard dash is arguably the most popular event at the NFL combine, where everyone likes to see who is the fastest athlete, no matter the position played.

It has become so prominent that Adidas offered an island to any prospect who broke the record while wearing the company’s 2017 Adizero 5-Star 40 cleats and then endorsed the company’s shoes for the 2017 NFL season.

John Ross III, former wide receiver of the Washington Huskies, set a new combine record with a 4.22 second 40-yard dash. He broke Chris Johnson’s previous record of 4.24, which was set in 2008 when Johnson was drafted by the Tennessee Titans.

What many people also forget is that in 1999, former Atlanta Falcons seventh-round pick Rondel Menendez shared the record with Johnson, but he suffered a knee injury in a preseason game and was never the same.

Despite an impressive 2016 junior campaign with 81 receptions, 1150 yards and 17 touchdowns (18 touchdowns total with one kickoff return), Ross’s journey to the NFL combine has not been an easy one.

In 2015, he tore his ACL in a spring practice and missed the entire season after having mediocre freshman and sophomore years, when he only accumulated 33 receptions and five touchdowns. Ross redshirted and finally had his breakout season.

After he soared for a 4.22 finish in his Nikes on his first attempt, Ross did not mind that he was not competing for the grand prize.

He spoke with ESPN senior writer Jeff Legwold to explain why the island was not important to him.

“I really can’t swim that well,” Ross said. “And I don’t have a boat, so, you know, I had to run in Nikes.”

That was it for Ross, who did not go for a second try for the 40-yard dash due to cramps.

He will have to deal with shoulder surgery coming up soon, but there is no doubt that Ross got his name out and will continue to prepare for his rookie season.

Wyatt Geller

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...