Baseball, Sports

No. 17 Canes get just two hits in 1-0 loss to Dartmouth

Matt Bernanke // Staff Photographer

Two hits – in fact two pitches – were all Dartmouth needed to pull off the 1-0 upset over the University of Miami on Friday night.

The wind and Dartmouth’s impressive pitching were just too much for the Hurricanes to handle as they kicked off their weekend series against the Big Green at Mark Light Field.

Dartmouth came out swinging early on offense and was able to come away with two doubles on the first two pitches of the game. The Canes (2-5) were able to get out of the inning fairly unscathed, surrendering only one run.

However, in baseball, sometimes one run is all it takes.

Just ask UM starting pitcher Jesse Lepore, who suffered his second-straight loss while giving up only one run.

“It’s definitely frustrating, but we’re just taking this as something to build on as a team,” Lepore said, keeping a positive tone throughout his post-game remarks. “It’s still early in the season, and we’re looking forward to getting better from here.”

Despite the loss, Lepore pitched a career-long eight innings while recording six strikeouts against only three walks.

As odd as it may sound considering Lepore’s final stat line, he was the second-best pitcher to take the mound Friday evening. Big Green (3-1) starter Beau Sulser carried the team throughout the night, tallying strikeout after strikeout – finishing with 10 overall in seven innings-pitched. He improved to 2-0 on the season with the win.

Dartmouth’s Chris Burkholder took over in the eighth inning and continued to stifle Miami’s offense with two “3-up-3-down” innings to seal the victory for the Big Green in his second save-appearance of the season.

The Hurricanes offense has been subpar for the majority of the young season, but the performance tonight may have been the biggest struggle so far. The Canes only reached base four times on two hits and failed to even put the ball in play most innings.

Miami Coach Jim Morris didn’t echo Lepore’s optimistic tone following the unexpected loss.

“Offensively, I don’t know if there’s any other word besides ‘embarrassing’ to describe the way we swung the bat,” Morris said.

UM’s lineup hasn’t threatened too many opposing players in the field so far this season, and Morris was clear on how his team can start producing more runs.

“First of all, we’re striking out too many times,” he said. “We’re not putting the ball in play, and we’re not putting any pressure on the defense.”

Morris did find a way to end the night on a positive note after venting his frustrations.

“I’ve had a couple teams start slow here at Miami and during my time at Georgia Tech,” Morris said. “I’ve been coaching a long time, and you find a way to turn it around and play well, so that’s what we need to do.”

Miami will get a shot at revenge against Dartmouth 7 p.m. Saturday at Mark Light.

About Author

Cody Brown

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...