Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Miami track and field ranked in top 10 for first time in program history

The Miami Hurricanes women’s track team is ranked in the top 10 for the first time in school history.

On Monday, the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association announced that the program is the No. 10-ranked team in the country. Miami, which just repeated as ACC Indoor Track and Field Champions, is gearing up for the upcoming NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships at Texas A&M University in College Station.

The NCAA announced men’s and women’s indoor championship qualifiers Tuesday.

Shakima Wimbley and Brittny Ellis have qualified for the women’s 400m preliminary round in the championship indoor meet. Wimbley’s time of 51.20 seconds from the ACC Indoor Championships is the fastest time in the NCAA. Wimbley and Ellis will join Aiyanna Stiverne and Michelle Atherley in the women’s 4x400m relay.

Atherley is one of the top-five qualifiers in the women’s pentathlon after a record-setting performance at the ACC Indoor Championships. She accumulated 4,281 points to set a new school record and conference-championship record.

Ebony Morrison has qualified for the women’s 60m hurdles. Her personal-best 8.12 seconds from the ACC Indoor Championships secured her spot in the National Championship prelims.

ESPN3 will live stream the National Championships on March 10 and 11. A re-broadcast will air at 7 p.m. on March 12 on ESPN2.

For a complete list of qualifiers, click here.

Chloe Harrison

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...