Edge, Movies

Miami Film Festival to offer diverse film series, keynote speakers

Miami-Dade College’s Miami Film Festival (MFF) has brought world-class cinema to Miami since 1984. The festival runs March 3-12 and takes place at several theaters in the Miami area. MFF opens 7 p.m. Friday, March 3, with “Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer” at the Olympia Theater.

The festival consists of several series which include the Marquee Series, the Soiree Series, the Knight Competition, the HBO Ibero American Competition, Cinema 360 and Florida Focus. All the events at the festival can be found here at the festival’s website.

MFF has hosted and introduced prestigious filmmakers such as Pedro Almodóvar, Spike Lee and Joel and Ethan Coen. In past years, famous faces like Michael Caine and Anne Hathaway have graced the festival’s red carpet. This year, both Rossy de Palma and Radu Mihaileanu will be in attendance for the Marquee Series. Mihaileanu, the Romanian-born French director of “The History of Love,” will give a presentation preceding the film’s premiere. De Palma, an Almodóvar muse, will participate in a conversation about the film in which she stars, “Traveling Lady.”

Along with films, the festival will host four talks curated by Google. These keynote talks and Q&As will discuss gender and racial gaps in film and technology. The festival will also premiere about a dozen short films.

MFF follows its mission to “bridge cultural understanding and encourage artistic development by provoking thought through film.” It is an exciting week of cinema that offers films for fans with varying tastes. As Mexican film director Alejandro Iñárritu reminds us, “Cinema is universal, beyond flags and borders and passports.”

To see all that MFF has to offer, visit miamifilmfestival.com. Tickets can be bought as passes, packages or individual tickets. Purchase tickets online or call 1-844-565-6433.

About Author

Tristan Niskanen

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...