Edge, Movies

Miami Film Festival to offer diverse film series, keynote speakers

Miami-Dade College’s Miami Film Festival (MFF) has brought world-class cinema to Miami since 1984. The festival runs March 3-12 and takes place at several theaters in the Miami area. MFF opens 7 p.m. Friday, March 3, with “Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer” at the Olympia Theater.

The festival consists of several series which include the Marquee Series, the Soiree Series, the Knight Competition, the HBO Ibero American Competition, Cinema 360 and Florida Focus. All the events at the festival can be found here at the festival’s website.

MFF has hosted and introduced prestigious filmmakers such as Pedro Almodóvar, Spike Lee and Joel and Ethan Coen. In past years, famous faces like Michael Caine and Anne Hathaway have graced the festival’s red carpet. This year, both Rossy de Palma and Radu Mihaileanu will be in attendance for the Marquee Series. Mihaileanu, the Romanian-born French director of “The History of Love,” will give a presentation preceding the film’s premiere. De Palma, an Almodóvar muse, will participate in a conversation about the film in which she stars, “Traveling Lady.”

Along with films, the festival will host four talks curated by Google. These keynote talks and Q&As will discuss gender and racial gaps in film and technology. The festival will also premiere about a dozen short films.

MFF follows its mission to “bridge cultural understanding and encourage artistic development by provoking thought through film.” It is an exciting week of cinema that offers films for fans with varying tastes. As Mexican film director Alejandro Iñárritu reminds us, “Cinema is universal, beyond flags and borders and passports.”

To see all that MFF has to offer, visit miamifilmfestival.com. Tickets can be bought as passes, packages or individual tickets. Purchase tickets online or call 1-844-565-6433.

Tristan Niskanen

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...