Basketball, Sports

Miami Hurricanes ranked No. 25 in national polls

Coach Jim Larrañaga is showing why he deserves some serious consideration for ACC Coach of the Year.

He has led the University of Miami to its first appearance in the national rankings this season – No. 25 in both the AP Poll and the Coaches Poll.

For the majority of the season, the Hurricanes have dealt with inconsistency – what the coaching staff attests to only having nine-scholarship athletes eligible to play and just two seniors on the roster.

But as of late, Miami has been on a roll, winning six of its last seven – including back-to-back against ranked opponents Virginia and Duke – which has more than likely solidified its chances to make the NCAA Tournament.

The Canes (20-8, 10-6 ACC) claim their fifth 20-win season in Larrañaga’s six years as head coach.

Freshman guard Bruce Brown continues his superb play in his first year, averaging 19.5 points in his last two matchups.

Brown was named ACC Freshman of the Week today for his performances.

Miami is set to face off against Virginia Tech at 9 p.m. tonight in Blacksburg.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...