Community, Dance, Edge, Food, Movies, Music, Theater

Weekend Watch: Okeechobee Fest, ‘Annie,’ Miami Film Festival, Best of the Second City, Carnaval on the Mile

Okeechobee Fest

In its second year, Okeechobee Fest will bring great music to Sunshine Grove, a two-and-a-half hour drive north. The rock, indie, hip-hop and EDM festival will feature big-name artists, such as Kings of Leon, Mike Posner, Usher and the Roots, and Wiz Khalifa. The four-day Paradise Pass costs $279.50, not including fees and parking.

March 2-5

441 NE 160th St.

Okeechobee, Fla.

“Annie”

Tomorrow is only a day away as “Annie” arrives at the Arsht Center. In this Tony Award-winning musical, 11-year-old Annie lives in an orphanage, but she never loses her optimism and hope of one day reuniting with her family. Tickets start at $29. The University Village is funding 36 free tickets for the Saturday evening show with transportation on March 4.  Details and sign-ups for the wait list, which is open to non-UV residents, are available at the UV main office on Albenga Ave.

8 p.m. March 3, 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. March 4, 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. March 5

1300 Biscayne Blvd.

305-949-6722

Miami Film Festival

The Miami Film Festival brings artists and film lovers together, and ticket sales help  fund projects by new filmmakers. Screenings include “Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer,” about a man played by Richard Gere who befriends a rising politician. Tickets for individual movies cost $10 for students. The films are screened at various locations throughout Miami.

March 3-12

305-237-3456

Best of the Second City

Originally made famous in different cities by comedians like Tina Fey, Stephen Colbert and Steve Carell, The Second City comedy group is presenting “Best of the Second City” at the South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center. Prepare for top-notch improv and audience involvement. Tickets start at $35.

8 p.m. March 4

10950 SW 211th St.

786-573-5300

Carnaval on the Mile

Carnaval on the Mile has occurred annually since 1978 and celebrates all parts of Latin culture. During the festival, guests can dance, taste delicious food and gaze at Latin artwork. Calle Ocho finishes the event. Admission to Carnaval on the Mile is free. Food connoisseurs can RSVP on EventBrite for Cork and Fork for $50 food and wine tastings.

10 a.m. to 10 p.m. March 4-5

Between LeJeune and Douglas Road

305-644-8888

Esther Ponce De Leon

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on fourth-ranked and third-seeded Astra Sharma Wednesd ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...