Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Miami vs Duke, a match worth watching

Home court advantage has been the storyline for men’s basketball in the ACC this season. On any given night, the team at the bottom of the ACC standings is capable of beating a visiting top team.

This case suits the currently unranked Miami Hurricanes, as the team hosts the No. 10 Duke Blue Devils.

With the success, culture and opposing hatred by other schools that Duke University has been known for under head coach Mike Krzyzewski during the past 35 years, playing against Duke is a marquee matchup for any team. Coach K’s teams are almost always ranked in the top 25 in the national standings, drawing in viewers watching at home and selling out crowds to see them play in the opponent’s venue.

For Miami, much anticipation surrounds how junior guard Ja’Quan Newton does in his first game back from suspension and how Canes should play him. Will Coach L start him or will Newton go back to his sixth man role like last season? Either way, do not expect Newton’s minutes to be reduced that much.

This game has little-to-no effect on the future; Duke has clinched a spot in the NCAA tournament, and Miami will almost certainly be there too if the team beats Duke or at least one more game down the road, including the ACC tournament. It seems 20 wins is the magic number for major and some mid-major conference teams to make it to the Big Dance.

Whether you love or hate Duke basketball, most people find it hard to look away as the team plays.

Wyatt Geller

A six-pack of Canes notes: • It’s just different at UM – the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the desir ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt’s spin through the ESPN Car Wash on Tuesday began with ...

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Sexual assault charges will not be filed against former University of Miami football and Dallas Cowb ...

View photos of teenage recruits being taught by UM legends at Paradise Camp Saturday, July 22, 2017. ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...