Republicans in Congress have a duty to put country over party

Throughout his campaign and young presidency, President Trump has been accused of dictatorial ambitions. From promoting the incarceration of his political opponents to his recent attacks on the press, Trump has subjected himself to more and more of these accusations. Yet once people make such claims, the general response is, “Come on, this is America, there’s no way we could have a dictator.”

It is exactly this attitude that would allow for a dictator.

Today, we take democracy for granted. Our Founding Fathers fought an entire war for democracy. Women and African Americans had to fight for their right to be included in the democracy. For these courageous people, the right to live in a democracy was the furthest thing from natural. We forget this important lesson when we assume America can never lose its democracy.

Democracy is something that must be fought for. As concerned citizens, we cannot simply sit back and expect the checks and balances of our government to stand tall in the face of President Trump’s abuses of power. So far, Republicans in Congress have put love of power over love of country. Despite exceptions like Senator John McCain, Republicans have largely remained silent in the face of Trump’s preposterous actions. Even amidst a messy roll out of the immigration order, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said that what Trump had done “looks good to me.”

The constituents of these representatives must speak up and make it known that such deference to Trump’s authoritarian actions will not be tolerated. These spineless Republicans will continue their unwavering support for Trump as long as they think it will not hurt their re-election chances.

Senator McConnell did offer some criticism, saying that he doesn’t love the daily tweets and theatrics, but is in agreement with his actions because “it is the kind of thing we would have expected of one of the others, had they been nominated and elected.”

Senator McConnell is either a liar or a moron. Delegitimizing free and fair media is not a Republican principle. Ronald Reagan is revered by Republicans for being tough on Russia. President Trump says, “Wouldn’t it be great if we got along with Russia?” George W. Bush called Islam a “religion of peace.” Trump thinks Muslims are too dangerous to allow into the country. So it is time for Republicans to be Republicans, and more importantly, Americans. They must stand up for our democracy before there is no democracy left to stand up for.

Ryan Steinberg is a freshman majoring in political science.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Gage Skidmore

Ryan Steinberg

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...