Opinion, Staff Editorial

Overpacked sorority suites signal need for change in recruitment

Five hundred and fifty women at the University of Miami were offered bids to Panhellenic sororities this past spring, shattering the expectations of recruitment officersWhile the large numbers represent an exciting time in sorority life, the volume of students participating in Greek life presents new challenges.

Certain sorority members are already concerned with the overcrowded pledge classes. Some have complained about packed, overheated suites, while others have voiced that the amount of members makes it difficult to get to know everyone in any given sorority.

In order to deal with the congested suites, the university and its sororities have few theoretical options. UM could expand its options of chapters on campus, work with the chapters to find alternative accommodations and possible housing, or the sororities themselves could simply reduce the quantity of bids they offer.

At this point, expanding sorority facilities is a nearly unachievable task. Every sorority would have to agree to off-campus housing in order for the university to pursue that option, and even then the real estate would be expensive and hard to find. Each sorority would be tasked with finding the space and then subsequently raising the money to pay for it.

The only real choice the sororities have is to get smaller at a steady rate. Currently, sororities are expected by the national organizations to accept a minimum number of women depending on the number of people participating in the recruitment process. As more women participate in recruitment, the sororities must increase bids at an unsustainable rate. Despite concerns regarding exclusivity, the sororities on campus would benefit from cutting the amount of bids they offer.

Sororities have every right to be exclusive when there is such high demand, particularly if exclusion benefits the greater good of the sorority. When there are so many different ways to get involved on campus, groups should not have to bloat their numbers without benefit. If the sororities find a way to reduce bids while staying true to their missions avoiding discriminatory recruitment practices, then the entire Panhellenic system would benefit. Smaller numbers would leads to closer friendships — and more comfortable suites.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

About Author

Editorial Board The Miami Hurricane

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...