Greek Life, News

Lambda Chi Alpha, Alpha Delta Pi crowned god and goddess

Newly-crowned Goddess senior Lauren Rodriguez of Alpha Delta Pi and team Atlantis performs during the Greek God and Goddess Competition Tuesday evening on the Lakeside Patio. Josh White // Staff Photographer

Sophomore Aaren Sirak of Lambda Chi Alpha (Lambda Chi) and senior Lauren Rodriguez of Alpha Delta Pi (ADPi) were crowned Greek God and Goddess at the annual Greek Week pageant on Tuesday.

Both titles were swept by Team Atlantis, which also includes the fraternity Pi Kappa Phi. The teams, each consisting of 3-4 greek organizations from all four Greek councils, were assigned names based on this year’s Greek Week theme, “War of the Worlds.”

The pageant consisted of a talent portion and an interview portion. For her talent, Rodriguez performed Adele’s “One and Only.” Rodriguez, who has served as an officer on the Panhellenic Council, has also been heavily involved in the Homecoming Executive Committee, Student Government, Camp Kesem and P100. In her interview portion, Rodriguez described herself to the judges as being extremely outgoing. She said that being crowned was unexpected and exciting.

“I didn’t think it was going to happen. In sophomore year, I was helping out with O-Cheer, and I promised myself I would run [for Goddess]someday,” Rodriguez said in an interview with the Hurricane. “Now as a senior, I was like, I’m just going to do it, YOLO.”

Rodriguez stood out to audience members well before the results were announced.

“Is it okay if I’m biased?” joked sophomore Alpha Sig brother Anthony Ferreira when asked about his thoughts on the prospective winners. “I’m Team Fantasy so I’m hoping both Greg and Jordan win. But the ADPi girl did really well too.”

Rodriguez shared the stage with Sirak, who left a lasting impression on the audience with a daring stunt, leaping over seven of his fraternity brothers on the Lakeside Patio stage in an impressive display of parkour. Interestingly enough, fellow finalist and Alpha Sigma Phi brother Greg Blachly also did a similar act, jumping over five brothers.

“When I was in elementary school, I used to climb and jump all over the playground, so that’s what got me into it,” Sirak said. “There is an American Ninja Warrior gym in Atlanta, where I’m from, that I used to go train at at least once a week.”

However confident Sirak – or Blachly – were, the acts seemed dangerous enough to capture the audience’s attention.

“Everyone was great, there was so much talent,” said senior Chi Omega sister Sara Saveanu. “But I wasn’t expecting all the parkour.”

Sirak, only in his second year of involvement in Greek life, called the feeling of coming through and winning the Greek God title as “amazing” in an interview with the Hurricane. Sirak said that he inadvertently joined the tail end of the fraternity recruitment process in his freshman spring but ended up joining the chapter, where he now holds many leadership positions, including that of risk manager and basketball team captain.

“I didn’t intend to get involved in Greek Life,” the mechanical engineering student said during the interview portion. “I didn’t think it was for me, but now I’m really involved and it takes up a lot of my time, in a good way. It keeps me busy.”

Sirak is also a Foote Fellow and is involved in the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Club, Ultimate Frisbee and volunteering in the Gifford Arboretum.

Greek Week events continue until Friday in an effort to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy. Around $30,000 is raised for the nonprofit each year.

Greek Week teams include chapters from all four Greek councils, the Interfraternity Council (IFC), Panhellenic Council (Panhel), National Pan-hellenic Council and Multicultural Greek Council. Each of the finalists in this year’s God and Goddess competition were members of the IFC and Panhel.

Other finalists:

• Demigod: Joseph Bonner, Beta Theta Pi fraternity, Team Ancient Greece
  • Demigoddess: Allison Cawthon, Chi Omega sorority, Team Jurassic
  • Greg Blachly, Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity, Team Fantasy
  • Jordan Hurwitz, Delta Delta Delta sorority, Team Fantasy
  • Matthew Pietras, Kappa Sigma fraternity, Team Jurassic

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...