Art, Community, Edge

Art Wynwood diverse works feature common theme of tumultuous social climate

Hunter Crenian // Senior Photographer

Wynwood bustled with vibrant works of art, crowds and sounds even more than usual during its Art Wynwood festival last weekend. The event, which returned to the urban-art paradise for the sixth year in a row, sets itself apart from Art Basel with its new approach to showcasing contemporary art.

The artwork highlighted the new, underground street spin on classic art forms like pop art, surrealism and collage.

While the works featured came from over 50 galleries all around the world, including countries like Russia, Cuba and Argentina, one clear theme presided within all of the works: tumultuous political climate.

Photographs depicted immigrants en route for a better life. A series of aggressive capital words and an image of a barely visible, faded Cuban flag amid a wide field of grass expressed the chaos of the current political environment.

“Black Book” by Christopher Wool. Screenprint. Shellie Frai // Contributing Photographer

Los Angeles-based artist Edwin Baker painted a somber scene including a burned bridge, the New York City skyline and ghostly imagery set against a night sky.

Edwin Baker stands next to his painting “Every Struggle.” Shellie Frai // Contributing Photographer

“The painting is about our struggle, the struggle everyone goes through,” Baker said.

Baker’s idea of society’s everyday struggle was mirrored in a more hopeful light in another section of the fair. In the tent, a wing called “Cernuda Arte Latin American Art” showcased over 40 Latino artists’ work.

One of the most memorable paintings in the wing was a 90-by-28-inch canvas oil painting by Roberto Fabelo, titled “Persistence.”

The painting depicts a father and two sons bracing rough currents to get to a mother and child. At the bottom of the painting are thin cursive words that could be read like a mantra: “persistence, persistence, persistence.”

“Persistence” by Roberto Fabelo. Oil on canvas. Shellie Frai // Contributing Photographer

The notion of never giving up and striving to reach success during times of stress came up in not only Fabelo’s paintings, but also in artist Cey Adams’ famous American flag collages.

Artist Cey Adams stands in front of his American Flag collection. Shellie Frai // Contributing Photographer

Adams used America’s most iconic symbol to tell a story of unity and empowerment.

“This piece is symbolic of a better life, of gratitude. It is about us,” Adams said.

Art Wynwood’s diverse approach to the current divisive social climate allowed the fair attendees to learn new stories from people of all backgrounds and gain new perspectives on what it means to be not only American, Cuban or Russian, but human.

About Author

Shellie Frai

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

View photos of the first day of Miami Hurricanes spring football practice on Tues., March 22, 2017 … ...

News and views from the first day of UM football spring practice: • Found it interesting that when M ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

The world renown flautist joins the Frost School of Music ...

A fluid multi-platform exhibition examines the impacts of climate change through art, research, medi ...

At the Net with Jesse Flores ...

At the Net with... ...

Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team has been selected to participate in an upcoming U.S. U-23 W ...

Freshman Greg Veliz put together another strong midweek outing as the Hurricanes beat FAU 7-5. ...

Junior Piotr Lomacki represents the Canes in the ITA singles rankings, released Tuesday, at No. 73. ...