Impending Ecuadorian elections overshadowed by corruption

The Ecuadorian justice department holds in its possession a list implicating more than 100 high-ranking government officials in corruption charges by the Brazilian government. The justice department is refusing to release this list, citing the reason as “taking time to translate from Portuguese to Spanish.”

This blatant disregard of democracy is part of a cycle of regulators overlooking unconstitutional actions by those in power. It is not necessary to translate names. This refusal to act represents a failed state, one in which the government is above reproach, the truth, and the law.

Due to strict anti-information policies and government-friendly libel laws, the state and its actors have not been thoroughly questioned by the Ecuadorian press. The content of this list is almost certainly being withheld until after the result of the elections in order to minimize political fallout, and even that is wishful thinking. The document will most likely fall into the “Donald Trump tax return” category of important political documents forgotten about.

Rafael Correa, the president of Ecuador, and his gaggle of sheep have already modified the constitution to remove term limits on the presidency following this election cycle in an attempt to consolidate their power long-term. This crumbling of democracy represents another brick to fall for free market capitalism in the area, leaving Ecuador slated to go much the way of Venezuela. The nationalization of natural resources and strict protectionist economic measures have drained resources and stalled a country in the midst of a pivotal moment in its history.

Regardless of who ends up in power, Ecuador needs to prioritize two things to ensure its survival. The first is a free press. Any progress is impossible without independent oversight on a historically crooked government. The second is a move towards the privatization of natural resources and an opening of the country to foreign investment.

This will help to remove Ecuador from the grip of China and begin building some form of free trade infrastructure as a mean of revenue generation. The free market proposals offered by Creo party candidate Guillermo Lasso represent the greatest hope for full international economic integration for an Ecuador influx. The likeliest scenario, however, will find Ecuadorians under at least four more years of Correa and incumbent party Alianza PAIS. Those will be four years spent on the brink of authoritarian fascism. Civil wars have started over less.

Francisco Narvaez is a junior majoring in English. He is Ecuadorian.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Arun Venkatesan 

Francisco Narvaez

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Impending Ecuadorian elections overshadowed by corruption”

1. Fernando B says:

Great article, Ecuador should look at Venezuela to see where this dangerous path takes a country. I really enjoyed the directness and clarity of opinion from this student.

FB, class of 1997

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...