Baseball, Sports

Michael Burns, Romy Gonzalez combine for five RBIs, lead Miami baseball past Rutgers 8-4

Junior pitcher Jeb Bargfeldt (19) lunges forward into his pitch Saturday night in Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. Bargfeldt earned his first win of the season as the Canes defeated Rutgers 8-4. Matt Bernanke // Contributing Photographer

The Hurricanes’ bats flew in game two of a three-game set. Junior outfielder Michael Burns lead Miami with three RBIs and two hits, while sophomore second baseman Romy Gonzalez tacked two runs on the board, leading the University of Miami to an 8-4 win over Rutgers on Saturday night at Mark Light Stadium.

Burns hit an RBI single in the third inning and broke the game open in the seventh after slamming a double to deep right field that scored two runs.

Before the start of the season, Coach Jim Morris stated that his team would have to rely on great defense throughout the year, but that was not the case Saturday night as the Canes offense exploded for eight runs. Miami put on an offensive clinic in the third inning after conceding two runs to Rutgers and finding themselves down early in the same inning.

Gonzalez knocked in his pair of RBIs by hitting two doubles. His double in the sixth inning landed just out of reach for Rutgers right fielder Tom Marcinczyk.

Junior Polk State transfer Brandon Gali provided the Hurricanes with their first run of the game in the third inning after hitting an RBI single that scored outfielder Hunter Tackett. The RBI was Gali’s first in a Miami uniform.

Junior pitcher Jeb Bargfeldt (1-0) recorded his first start and win with the Hurricanes after transferring from Cisco College in the offseason and led the team with five strikeouts.  Bargfeldt pitched a solid 5.2 innings outside of a shaky third when he gave up a solo home run to Rutgers leadoff hitter Jawuan Harris.

Bargfeldt struck out the first batter of the game and recorded his first strikeout in Miami.  He exhibited his ability to get out of innings by causing opposing hitters to ground into double plays. Bargfeldt was relieved by Albert Maury, who pitched 2.1 scoreless innings.

In the third inning, Tackett, a Northwest Florida State transfer, recorded the first hit of his UM career when he slapped a bouncing ground-ball up the middle of the field. Pitcher Mason Studstill also made his season debut at the closer role and gave up two earned runs in a save for Miami.

Veteran first baseman Christopher Barr made another short appearance late in the game for the second night in a row after replacing Gregory Veliz. Barr batted in a run, which is great news for the Hurricanes because he is still recovering from back surgery.

Ben Bokun

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...