Commentary, Sports

Hurricanes Basketball: ACC Predictions

Feb. 18 – Clemson vs. Miami

The final breather before a late season gauntlet, Miami simply must take this game at home to avoid a late season free-fall. While bottom-four Clemson has a lowly conference record of 3-9, it is better than the numbers would indicate. For starters, the Tigers have lost six of those games by five points or less, and half of those by three or fewer, so some average late-game luck would have seen this team in the thick of the conference’s middle class. Instead, they have settled towards the bottom, despite the best efforts of top gun Jaron Blossomgame. The senior forward has put forth an excellent campaign, and he’s a threat to drop 20 points on any given night. Fellow senior Avry Holmes is this team’s other top scorer, with a perimeter game to complement Blossomgame’s interior scoring. Just over two-thirds of Holmes’ field goal attempts come from downtown, which he knocks down at a 43 percent clip. He’s been remarkably consistent, hitting multiple threes in nine of his last 12 outings, meaning Miami will need to close out hard and run him off the line. UM certainly shouldn’t look past this game because Clemson could surprise the Hurricanes if they aren’t careful.

Miami 72 – Clemson 70

Feb. 20 – Miami @ Virginia

A trip to Charlottesville kicks off a stretch of three ranked-opponents in four games, and Tony Bennett’s group will be raring to go in this ESPN-broadcasted game on Monday night. Pegged by many to drop off from recent seasons that brought top NCAA Tournament seeds, the Cavaliers have kept the good times rolling with their trademark pack-line defense and senior leadership. Senior guard London Perrantes, finally the top dog after recent seasons of being a supporting player behind Justin Anderson and Malcolm Brogdon, is putting together a great final year. Perrantes leads his squad in points, assists and made threes. While the numbers aren’t mind boggling (12.6 ppg and 3.9 apg), keep in mind that Virginia plays at one of the slowest paces in the country, which depresses the offensive stats of everyone on the team. Recent setbacks to Syracuse and Virginia Tech aside, Virginia generally beats who it’s supposed to beat and fights close battles with fellow ranked opponents. Miami might have the juice to get an early lead like against Louisville, but its offense isn’t good enough to overcome Virginia’s signature defense.

Virginia 77 – Miami 64

Justin Sobelman

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...