The Grammys are a celebration of industry ties, not music

The Grammy Awards are not about music but a self-congratulatory congregation, celebrating the labels that have good connections with promotional companies and radio stations. Exhibit A is Drake’s nomination for “Views,” which was the most underwhelming album released last year. So why was he nominated? Drake sold over a million copies of “Views” the first week, breaking every streaming record imaginable. This means he also lined the pockets of record executives and voting members of The Recording Academy. Solange was snubbed, not even getting a best album nomination despite releasing the best album to come out of the Knowles family last year.

Adele winning her second triple crown was both expected and droll. It’s hard not to like Adele. She’s humble and relatable, which translates to boring and safe. In what way does “25” push the envelope or give us anything close to a challenge? It’s a cookie-cutter pop album. Should we not be celebrating the artists that took risks and delivered? For example, Anohni and Mitski both dropped breathtakingly beautiful, innovative and culturally important albums last year in “Hopelessness” and “Puberty 2,” respectively. Reginald Omas Mamode IV dropped an instant classic with his self-titled album. But they never had a chance at a nomination, as they do not have the name recognition sufficient to be recognized by the aging, mostly white members of the Academy.

The Grammys are out of touch, and this was painfully evident during the crossover performance of Lady Gaga and Metallica that no one asked for. Really? That’s not even pandering, it’s an insult to the intelligence of the American public. Metallica wasn’t even announced (inarguably one of the biggest bands of all time), and James Hetfield’s mic malfunctioned, forcing him to share with Gaga.

This kind of pandering is what the Grammys were attempting to move away from this year. Despite all the hype about the rule changes that allowed independent submissions following Chance The Rapper’s media campaign, not much seems to have changed. Chance was also an odd person to lead this, as he is in no way independent. Chance is technically an unsigned artist, but Apple, one of the largest conglomerates on the planet, backs him. “Grammy winner no record deal” is the new “Platinum with no features” – nothing but a marketing ploy.

Francisco Narvaez is a junior majoring in English.

Francisco Narvaez

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...