The Grammys are a celebration of industry ties, not music

The Grammy Awards are not about music but a self-congratulatory congregation, celebrating the labels that have good connections with promotional companies and radio stations. Exhibit A is Drake’s nomination for “Views,” which was the most underwhelming album released last year. So why was he nominated? Drake sold over a million copies of “Views” the first week, breaking every streaming record imaginable. This means he also lined the pockets of record executives and voting members of The Recording Academy. Solange was snubbed, not even getting a best album nomination despite releasing the best album to come out of the Knowles family last year.

Adele winning her second triple crown was both expected and droll. It’s hard not to like Adele. She’s humble and relatable, which translates to boring and safe. In what way does “25” push the envelope or give us anything close to a challenge? It’s a cookie-cutter pop album. Should we not be celebrating the artists that took risks and delivered? For example, Anohni and Mitski both dropped breathtakingly beautiful, innovative and culturally important albums last year in “Hopelessness” and “Puberty 2,” respectively. Reginald Omas Mamode IV dropped an instant classic with his self-titled album. But they never had a chance at a nomination, as they do not have the name recognition sufficient to be recognized by the aging, mostly white members of the Academy.

The Grammys are out of touch, and this was painfully evident during the crossover performance of Lady Gaga and Metallica that no one asked for. Really? That’s not even pandering, it’s an insult to the intelligence of the American public. Metallica wasn’t even announced (inarguably one of the biggest bands of all time), and James Hetfield’s mic malfunctioned, forcing him to share with Gaga.

This kind of pandering is what the Grammys were attempting to move away from this year. Despite all the hype about the rule changes that allowed independent submissions following Chance The Rapper’s media campaign, not much seems to have changed. Chance was also an odd person to lead this, as he is in no way independent. Chance is technically an unsigned artist, but Apple, one of the largest conglomerates on the planet, backs him. “Grammy winner no record deal” is the new “Platinum with no features” – nothing but a marketing ploy.

Francisco Narvaez is a junior majoring in English.

Francisco Narvaez

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...