News Briefs 2/16

Drag Out

WHEN: Feb. 16 at 8 p.m.

WHERE: Donna Shalala Student Center Center Ballroom

SpectrUM will hold its fourth annual DragOut, an event composed of a drag show, competition and charity fundraiser. The event is aimed at raising awareness about the LGBT community at the University of Miami. This year, the show and competition will be be hosted by Tiffany Fantasia, a drag queen that has performed for over a decade at Palace, a Gay night club on Ocean Drive. According to the event’s Facebook event, half of the net profit made will go to Pridelines, a South Florida organization focused on supporting, educating, and empowering youth members of the LGBT community.

Spring Career Expo

WHEN: Feb. 22 from 1-5 p.m

WHERE: Watsco Center

The Toppel Career Center will host its annual Spring Career Expo for students looking to explore internship, job and networking opportunities. The expo brings hundreds of local and national companies from different industries including business, communication, government, and science technology agencies.

Students of all majors can attend. Admission is free but professional dress is required.

“Fleeing Atrocities: Witness Perspectives”

WHEN: Feb. 22 at 7 p.m.

WHERE: The University of Miami Newman Alumni Center

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (USHMM) in conjunction with the University of Miami will be bringing two speakers to share their experiences with the persecution and displacement. The event will feature Alfred Munzer, a Holocaust survivor,  and Mouaz Moustafa, a Syrian immigrant and Executive Director of the Syrian Emergency force. Through the speaker’s stories, the event aims at creating a dialogue about current threats to peace around the world. Students interested in attending can RSVP here.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...