News Briefs 2/16

Drag Out

WHEN: Feb. 16 at 8 p.m.

WHERE: Donna Shalala Student Center Center Ballroom

SpectrUM will hold its fourth annual DragOut, an event composed of a drag show, competition and charity fundraiser. The event is aimed at raising awareness about the LGBT community at the University of Miami. This year, the show and competition will be be hosted by Tiffany Fantasia, a drag queen that has performed for over a decade at Palace, a Gay night club on Ocean Drive. According to the event’s Facebook event, half of the net profit made will go to Pridelines, a South Florida organization focused on supporting, educating, and empowering youth members of the LGBT community.

Spring Career Expo

WHEN: Feb. 22 from 1-5 p.m

WHERE: Watsco Center

The Toppel Career Center will host its annual Spring Career Expo for students looking to explore internship, job and networking opportunities. The expo brings hundreds of local and national companies from different industries including business, communication, government, and science technology agencies.

Students of all majors can attend. Admission is free but professional dress is required.

“Fleeing Atrocities: Witness Perspectives”

WHEN: Feb. 22 at 7 p.m.

WHERE: The University of Miami Newman Alumni Center

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (USHMM) in conjunction with the University of Miami will be bringing two speakers to share their experiences with the persecution and displacement. The event will feature Alfred Munzer, a Holocaust survivor,  and Mouaz Moustafa, a Syrian immigrant and Executive Director of the Syrian Emergency force. Through the speaker’s stories, the event aims at creating a dialogue about current threats to peace around the world. Students interested in attending can RSVP here.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

The Marlins will be represented at the All-Star Game for the 25th time on July 11 when the Midsummer ...

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Seven members of the University of Miami track and field program received All-ACC Academic honors fo ...

Three members of the University of Miami rowing team were named to the 2017 All-ACC Academic Rowing ...

The Miami women's basketball team will take on Michigan State at the Watsco Center in the 2017 ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...