News Briefs 2/16

Drag Out

WHEN: Feb. 16 at 8 p.m.

WHERE: Donna Shalala Student Center Center Ballroom

SpectrUM will hold its fourth annual DragOut, an event composed of a drag show, competition and charity fundraiser. The event is aimed at raising awareness about the LGBT community at the University of Miami. This year, the show and competition will be be hosted by Tiffany Fantasia, a drag queen that has performed for over a decade at Palace, a Gay night club on Ocean Drive. According to the event’s Facebook event, half of the net profit made will go to Pridelines, a South Florida organization focused on supporting, educating, and empowering youth members of the LGBT community.

Spring Career Expo

WHEN: Feb. 22 from 1-5 p.m

WHERE: Watsco Center

The Toppel Career Center will host its annual Spring Career Expo for students looking to explore internship, job and networking opportunities. The expo brings hundreds of local and national companies from different industries including business, communication, government, and science technology agencies.

Students of all majors can attend. Admission is free but professional dress is required.

“Fleeing Atrocities: Witness Perspectives”

WHEN: Feb. 22 at 7 p.m.

WHERE: The University of Miami Newman Alumni Center

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (USHMM) in conjunction with the University of Miami will be bringing two speakers to share their experiences with the persecution and displacement. The event will feature Alfred Munzer, a Holocaust survivor,  and Mouaz Moustafa, a Syrian immigrant and Executive Director of the Syrian Emergency force. Through the speaker’s stories, the event aims at creating a dialogue about current threats to peace around the world. Students interested in attending can RSVP here.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...