Construction, News

Expansion of arboretum includes road for service vehicles

The City of Coral Gables, the university and local residents decided to expand the arboretum and place a service road through it. Amanda Prats // Senior Photographer

Plans are being made to expand John C. Gifford Arboretum behind the Knight Physics Building. This comes as a compromise with the City of Coral Gables after nearly a decade of back and forth on a 2007 proposal to build a road through the garden in the northwest corner of the University of Miami’s Gables campus.

Arboretum Director Steve Pearson said a road for service vehicles will be built to help alleviate the traffic many neighbors complained about in their bid to build a road.

“It was a compromise that was reached just with the city in November,” Pearson said. “It’s not going to be for any general traffic. The only thing that will be of any impact at all is this new area where the arboretum will expand into.”

Along with the road, Pearson said he is planning two new tree exhibits and a possible aquatic exhibit, which would include water plants. There are also plans to build a sustainable garden to teach students how to grow their own vegetables. Pearson is also pushing for the installation of a greenhouse for research purposes.

“We have a great arboretum – something that’s a big asset – but we also need to have a greenhouse to attract top scientists in plant science,” he said.

Pearson said the arboretum contains more than 500 plants, representing every continent except Anarctica.

“For study, for research, for education we try to maximize the diversity we can maintain,” he said.

A tour through the arboretum will take place Feb. 19 at 1 p.m.

About Author

Nathalie Mairena

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Expansion of arboretum includes road for service vehicles”

1. R says:

This is an interesting piece of news. If more updates come, please do share. It would be nice to have a map that details where the changes in the arboretum will actually be.

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

Briadam Herrera continued his sparkling postseason run Friday at the IU Natatorium, finishing as the ...

The Hurricanes will welcome a talented field of teams to Cobb Stadium for the second of three home m ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team fell to Boston College, 6-1, Friday afternoon at the Flynn ...

The Miami Hurricanes dropped their series opener to No. 8 North Carolina Friday afternoon at Boshame ...