Construction, News

Expansion of arboretum includes road for service vehicles

The City of Coral Gables, the university and local residents decided to expand the arboretum and place a service road through it. Amanda Prats // Senior Photographer

Plans are being made to expand John C. Gifford Arboretum behind the Knight Physics Building. This comes as a compromise with the City of Coral Gables after nearly a decade of back and forth on a 2007 proposal to build a road through the garden in the northwest corner of the University of Miami’s Gables campus.

Arboretum Director Steve Pearson said a road for service vehicles will be built to help alleviate the traffic many neighbors complained about in their bid to build a road.

“It was a compromise that was reached just with the city in November,” Pearson said. “It’s not going to be for any general traffic. The only thing that will be of any impact at all is this new area where the arboretum will expand into.”

Along with the road, Pearson said he is planning two new tree exhibits and a possible aquatic exhibit, which would include water plants. There are also plans to build a sustainable garden to teach students how to grow their own vegetables. Pearson is also pushing for the installation of a greenhouse for research purposes.

“We have a great arboretum – something that’s a big asset – but we also need to have a greenhouse to attract top scientists in plant science,” he said.

Pearson said the arboretum contains more than 500 plants, representing every continent except Anarctica.

“For study, for research, for education we try to maximize the diversity we can maintain,” he said.

A tour through the arboretum will take place Feb. 19 at 1 p.m.

Nathalie Mairena

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Expansion of arboretum includes road for service vehicles”

1. R says:

This is an interesting piece of news. If more updates come, please do share. It would be nice to have a map that details where the changes in the arboretum will actually be.

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The University of Miami track and field team will wrap up the 2017 outdoor track and field regular s ...

The Miami Hurricanes travel to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a weekend series with host Boston College b ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to return to the Rome Tennis Center at Berry C ...