Crime and Safety, News

Wellness Center evacuated after suspicious device found

Students were evacuated from the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center Friday night as a precaution after a suspicious device was found inside the building.
Employees of the Wellness Center were informed of the existence of the device after it began making a sound, said Peter Howard, Assistant Vice President for Communications and Public Relations at UM. Visitors to the Wellness Center were instructed to evacuate at approximately 8 p.m., Howard said.
Around 8:20 p.m., the university sent out an Emergency Notification Network (ENN) alert notifying UM students of the discovery and evacuation.

Among those being removed from the center were students participating in Sports Fest, the University of Miami’s annual sporting contest where students living in each residential college compete against one another. Many of the sporting competitions, scheduled throughout the weekend, are held at the Wellness Center and IM fields.
Ariadna Marrero, a commuter student, was waiting for the next round of soccer matches to begin when she said she and her teammates were told to leave the facility. Marrero said the staff evacuating them did not give them a reason, but said she had friends working at the center at the time of the event who said they heard the device make a “beeping sound.”
As a result of the potential threat, UM and Coral Gables Police Department vehicles barricaded all entry points to the surrounding areas of the Wellness Center, including the main entrances to Stanford and Hecht Residential Colleges. Students attempting to enter the dorms were directed to enter through the back, via the Stanford-Hecht bridge. Both Walsh Ave. and Dickinson Drive were closed off to traffic. The Miami-Dade Bomb Squad was also on scene.
At 10:02 p.m., the university sent out another alert notifying students the scene had been cleared and the Wellness Center would re-open in the morning on Feb 11.
There were no injuries reported.
Late night dining at Hecht and Stanford Dining Hall has been cancelled for the night.

Update, 12:19 p.m. , Feb. 11, 2017: Howard confirmed the suspicious device found inside the Wellness Center on Feb. 10 was an insulin pump. The pump was inside a trash can and created a sound as a result of a low battery.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

This was a neat idea that Peter King’s Monday Morning Quarterback website rolled out just as NFL tra ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement harnesses technology to seek affordab ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...