Uncertain future for US–Russian relations

During his campaign for presidency, Donald Trump proposed a more positive shift in U.S. relations with Russia, following years of complex political tension. However, the Trump administration’s potential business interests may influence the already uncertain relationship between the United States and Russia.

During Trump’s second week in office, Vice President Mike Pence alluded to the possibility of the White House lifting sanctions against Russia in the coming months. The sanctions, implemented largely in response to the Crimean crisis during the Obama administration, have had tremendous consequences on Russia’s economic, technological and militaristic outlooks — as well as negative consequences for U.S. companies looking to broker deals abroad.

Although the newly appointed U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, took advantage of her first appearance in the chamber to deliver a hawkish speech against Russia’s actions in eastern Ukraine, many can’t help but doubt the presence of full executive concurrence. This ambiguity is especially strong in light of President Trump’s apparent intention to form a more amicable relationship with Russian President Vladimir Putin. The personal benefits that Trump and his cabinet members alike would enjoy from such a diplomatic partnership also raise questions about the Trump administration’s full support of Nikki Haley’s speech.

While the White House has cited joint efforts against the Islamic State as the primary motivation behind a closer relationship with Russia, it is impossible to disregard the millions of dollars that Exxon Mobile, and, by extension, Former CEO turned Secretary of State Rex Tillerson would have to gain from lifting the sanctions, which have lost the company up to $1 billion since Russia’s annexation of Crimea. Tillerson reportedly proposed maintaining “the status quo” in regards to the pre-existing sanctions against Russia, though he has consistently refused to offer his support for the additional sanctions President Obama already authorized, instead shifting conversation to the need to engage with Russia through alternative means.

Oil, along with other business and economic ventures, may continue to shape the diplomatic ties at the foundation of the global order. While the new administration is clearly more in favor of positive relations between the United States and Russia than its predecessor, only time will tell if we are headed toward a future of true political and economic alliance with the Kremlin.

Elizabeth Strack is a junior majoring in political science and English literature.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Bryan Jones

Elizabeth Strack

Happy Thanksgiving! I started this while I was sitting in Washington-Dulles Airport awaiting my seco ...

This is how extraordinary the University of Miami football season has been: When the Hurricanes won ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes nuggets on Thanksgiving: • There’s no doubt that UM’s home field advantage ...

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The tournament will be played in Southern California next November 22, 23 and 25. ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...