Community, Edge, Food, Movies, Music

Celebrate being single on Valentine’s Day with local events

Photo courtesy Flickr user Molly DG

For some singles, Valentine’s Day can feel like a knife to the heart. For others, it’s just the day before raiding CVS for half-off chocolate.

Fortunately, Valentine’s Day can be just as fun for those who aren’t in a relationship. Spending this Hallmark holiday in Miami gives singles a plethora of opportunities to attend events and enjoy discounts on food.

If you’re single this V-Day, don’t stay home and pout. Round up your friends and celebrate your independence at any of these events, from Friday until Tuesday.

For the music lovers:

Research has shown that music can lift your mood, boost your happiness and reduce anxiety. There’s no better way to shake the Valentine’s Day funk. Take a trip to the beautiful Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden for a live performance by jazz singer Nicole Henry in the garden. Plus, it’s BYOB. Tickets are $30 for students with ID.

5:30–9 p.m. Feb. 14

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden

10901 Old Cutler Road

For the film addict:

Take a Netflix night in and turn it into a night out at The Standard’s one-of-a-kind sleep-in cinema. Put your expert binge-watching skills to good use and have a laugh at all the best and corniest rom-coms, such as “10 Things I Hate About You” and “Pretty in Pink.” There’s no need to move from your comfy position because snacks and drinks will be brought right to your bedside. Tickets start at $50.

Showings at 5:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. Feb. 10-12

For the foodie:

Trade the empty calories from chocolate hearts and candy kisses for a decadent chocolate raspberry tart, red velvet cake and chocolate strawberry marble mousse at STK Miami’s Love Bites Party. Bring your squad along and indulge in fine food and complimentary drinks at one of Miami’s best steakhouses. Josh Murray from “The Bachelorette” will host the event.

5–10 p.m. Feb. 14

STK Miami

1100 Biscayne Blvd.

For the spiritual:

Valentine’s Day can be the reminder you need to stop looking for someone else and look inside yourself. Take the day to recharge with three of Miami’s most famous yoga teachers and psychic mediums, learning about therapeutic yoga and Reiki while also receiving a reading from a medium. Tickets are $150.

2–5:30 p.m. Feb. 12

Flying Lizard Boutique

14761 Biscayne Blvd.

Shellie Frai

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...