Edge, Food

Prepare home-cooked Valentine’s Day dinner for special someone

Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching. One of the best ways to reward your significant other for putting up with you is a home-cooked meal. While cooking can be time consuming, the extra effort will show your special someone that you care, and it will mean more than dropping big bucks at a local restaurant.

Here’s a sample meal with three courses – baby greens salad, risotto with mushrooms and chocolate chip cookies – that you can easily prepare in a college apartment. Prepare your ingredients, invest in a fat chunk of quality parmesan – not the cheap kind –ß and get your culinary weapons ready.

Baby Greens Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette

Baby greens salad with bacon vinaigrette is the perfect starter meal for a romantic Valentine’s Day inner. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

– 2 cups baby greens (we used a mix of

baby spinach and baby kale)

– 3 thick bacon strips, cut into small strips

– 1/3 cup almonds, roughly chopped

– 1/4 cup olive oil

– 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar (roasted

garlic variety is best)

– Parmesan shavings

– torn basil leaves

– salt and pepper

Fry bacon over medium heat until crispy and reserve rendered fat.

In a bowl, mix vinegar, oil and bacon fat.

Mix arugula with torn basil leaves and bacon bits.

Dress with bacon-fat vinaigrette and top with shaved parmesan and almonds.

Mushroom Risotto

As the main course for your Valentine’s Day meal, serve mushroom risotto. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

– 1 pack of oyster mushrooms, torn

– 1 pack shiitake mushrooms, sliced

– 1 stick butter (garlic and herb butter is better, plain is still good)

– 1 1/2 cup Arborio rice

– 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus some shaved for garnish

– 4 cups chicken stock

– 1 cup water

– 2 shallots

– 1/4 cup Mascarpone

– Truffle oil (optional)

Bring the chicken stock and water to a boil.

In a separate pot, cook the shallots in butter until translucent, aromatic and tender.

Add the mushrooms and lightly brown them.

Add the rice, season with salt and pepper and stir. Cook without adding liquid for a minute or two.

One ladle at a time, add the stock and stir constantly. As the rice absorbs the stock, add more. Every couple of ladles, taste your rice for salt and tenderness.

Once you’ve used up all your stock and the rice is tender (should still be a touch soupy, if not add a bit more water), stir in the mascarpone and the parmesan.

Serve on a deep plate or shallow bowl, garnished with shaved Parmesan and truffle oil.

Chocolate-Chip Cookies

Top off the night with homemade chocolate chip cookies for a sweet treat. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

– 2 cups of chocolate chunks or chips (we

used Ghirardelli semi-sweet)

– 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus some to

sprinkle

– 2 eggs

– 3 cups flour

– 1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 2

teaspoons hot water

– 1 cup softened butter (2 sticks)

– 1 cup white sugar

– 1 cup brown sugar

– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Cream sugar and butter together until smooth using a hand mixer at medium speed.

Add eggs one at a time until fully incorporated.

Add dissolved baking soda and vanilla extract.

With the mixer running on low speed, gradually incorporate flour.

Finally incorporate the chocolate chips until well-mixed.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and, using an ice-cream scooper, spoon the batter onto the sheet in portions that are two inches apart. Don’t press them down; the cookies will do that on their own as they bake.

Sprinkle with salt and bake 10 minutes until golden brown.

Andreu Silverman

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...