Opinion, Staff Editorial

Intimacy versus isolation: balancing the benefits of both

Young people in their late teens and early 20s enter a critical window of developing intimacy or isolation.

So claimed psychologist Erik Erikson, whose proposed stages of human development stated that, at each stage in life, we are faced with a central challenge. The challenge for those between 18 and 40 years old, Erikson said, was to form honest, real relationships with others. If we overcome this challenge, we achieve intimacy. If we fail, we are stuck in isolation and will indefinitely have trouble connecting with others. 

As Valentine’s Day rolls around yet again to remind us of the importance of intimacy, Erik Erikson got the newsroom thinking – is there a benefit to isolation?

College is certainly an important time to branch out and meet new people. As we transition from adolescence into some sort of adulthood, this environment is a good place to work on preparing for more serious romantic commitments.

However, readying ourselves for these commitments doesn’t require actually being in a long-term relationship. The thing about a little bit of isolation, a little space away from the chatter and the personalities of others, is that it can bring about more introspection and awareness of one’s priorities and values.

This mature sense of self, or “ego identity” as Erikson called it, is necessary for having healthy functional relationships. Relationships come in many different shapes and sizes and involve deeply personal decisions – about sex, marriage, professional sacrifices and family relationships. How individuals go about accommodating others in their lives rests on their knowledge of what they want to get out of a relationship. In addition, being comfortably independent can prevent a relationship being strangled by over-reliance.

Even so, focusing on oneself can still leave room for meaningful friendships and relationships that in turn help us grow. There is a lot that can be learned from relationships, whether it’s a romance, a friendship or a series of casual relationships. Others can introduce new outlooks and model positive characteristics. Isolation can be easy, because an individual has complete control. However, friends and significant others can enrich development in ways we would never be able to do by ourselves.

In college, whether a person decides to enter into a committed relationship, a bunch of noncommittal ones or just a deeper relationship with oneself, balance is key.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...