Chimera experiment raises benefits, concerns for stem cell research

Alvaro Baez // Contributing Cartoonist

In a recent scientific breakthrough, U.S. researchers have managed to create chimeric human-pig hybrids using human-induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs). The research team published its work in Cell journal, describing how the team inserted human stem cells into early-stage pig embryos and implanted the embryos in surrogate sows to develop.

Scientists were astonished to find that they had generated human cells in the embryos. Scientists involved in the chimera experiment believe that further research can lead to lab-grown human organs – a potential boon to patients awaiting organ transplants.

However, because of ethical concerns, the embryos were terminated after 28 days.

Stem cell research has long been a controversial subject in U.S. politics. Despite the existence of stringent guidelines, many politicians have openly opposed the use of stem cells taken from human embryos, which can divide indefinitely and are pluripotent, meaning they have the potential to divide into many different types of cells. This includes growth in critical organs like the heart or the liver.

Just as a government operates on a system of checks and balances, the scientific community is kept under scrutiny by ethical norms that are largely influenced by an ever-changing political agenda. As a result of the embryonic stem cell controversy, scientists have turned to amniotic fluid and iPSCs, a form of adult stem cell that has been reprogrammed to become pluripotent, circumventing the need for embryos.

iPSCs were used extensively in the chimera experiment, and yet, despite all the potential good that further research can bring, the ethical concerns surrounding the chimera experiment still stand. We now know that iPSCs can be used to grow human tissue in a non-human organism, which to some people may sound like something straight out of a creepy science-fiction movie. Just the mere thought of hybrid human-pig hybrids developing more human brains is enough to make someone cringe or panic (Animal Farm, anyone?).

That is why any future experiments must be carefully thought out and well-regulated. The National Institutes of Health is planning to lift a moratorium on human chimera research, which could allow increased federal funding for these types of experiments. Any benevolent scientist who dreams of benefiting mankind must first have the support of mankind. For the chimera research team, this means minimizing public concern while respecting ethical boundaries.

While the scientific community is far from achieving its end goals with these chimera experiments, it must proceed with great care, diligence and caution. Pluripotent stem cell research could very well hold the key to lab-grown organs or a cure for cancer, but scientists must tread lightly as they wander into uncharted territory.

Israel Aragon is a sophomore majoring in psychology.

Israel Aragon Bravo

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...