Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sprinters lead Hurricanes in Meyo Invitational

The Miami Hurricanes track and field sprinters dominated at the Meyo Invitational at the University of Notre Dame over the weekend.

Miami is now home to the second-fastest women’s 4x400m relay team in the country. Aiyanna Stiverne, Brittny Ellis, Michelle Atherley and Shakima Wimbley won the event, clocking in at 3:31.88 – the second fastest in school history.

Wimbley secured first place in the women’s 200m, smashing an 11-year-old meet record with a time of 23.19 seconds.

Sophomore Isaiah Taylor won the 60m dash with a personal-best time of 6.77 seconds to crack the UM all-time top five in the event.

Senior Ebony Morrison ran a season-best 8.17 seconds in a third-place finish in the women’s 60m hurdles.

In long distance, Gabrielle Hesslau broke the school record in the women’s 5000m with a time of 16:51.38. She previously set the record in the ACC Indoor Championships last season. Sean Grossman set a school record in the men’s 5000m – the time of 14:41.46 broke the record set nearly a decade ago.

Carlos Mangum led the way in field events, throwing a season-best 21.22m to finish second in the men’s weight throw.

The teams previewed the environment of the upcoming ACC Indoor Championships.

Miami will next compete at the Tiger Paw Invitational at Clemson University on Friday and Saturday.

Chloe Harrison

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...