Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Roger Federer, the greatest men’s tennis player

Future tennis hall-of-famer Roger Federer is arguably the greatest men’s tennis player of all time with 17 major titles before going into this year’s Australian Open.

What he did on Sunday was something no other man could have done. Federer won an epic five-set match to win the Australian Open after taking a leave of absence. Many wondered whether he could even get back to top form again. Let me rewind a little bit.

When Federer turned 30 in 2011, he started to slow down a little bit. After winning the 2012 Wimbledon title, Federer would struggle just a little for the next four years, as he came up short a couple times in grand slam major tournaments, being a finalist or semifinalist.

With Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray dominating the tennis scene in 2016, it appeared Federer’s time was running out. He was forced to miss the French Open, which was the first time in 16 years Federer would be absent from one of the four majors.

After a defeat at Wimbledon a few weeks later, Federer decided to take a break from the pro tour for the rest of the year as he dealt with a knee injury. That time off turned out to be the best thing that could have happened to Federer.

Remember when Peyton Manning missed a whole season for neck surgery? Everyone doubted whether he could still compete at an elite level.

The same went to Federer this year. He looked more comfortable from the baseline and never got in a big hole in any of his matches.

After a thrilling five-set victory over fellow rising Swiss star Stan Wawrinka, two things came to mind for most tennis fans. Would this momentum continue for Federer in the final against Rafael Nadal, who had dominated Federer in the past? Or would Federer finally run of gas and be unable to compete with his nemesis?

The final was a seesaw match of Federer getting a service break on Nadal in the first set, then Nadal was able to capitalize the next set. The consistency of Federer to extend long points and stay on the offensive side of the ball eventually wore on Nadal in the final set, as Federer won an epic battle: 6-4, 3-6, 6-1, 3-6 and 6-3.

At 35 years old, Federer became the second oldest man to win a major, after Ken Rosewall, who won the 1972 Australian Open at the age of 37, according to tennis28.com.

Federer took a six-month rest and played as if he was 10 years younger again. We can expect to see Federer around for another three or four years, and he may possibly play until he is 40.

More importantly, his 18th grand slam title shows that he may still have unfinished business.

Wyatt Geller

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...