Football, National Signing Day, Sports

Miami lands 24 signees on national signing day

Coach Mark Richt ended his first season at the University of Miami with five straight wins. He has now finished his first recruiting campaign at UM with a top-15 class. Twenty-four players, 16 from Florida, have officially signed to be members of the Hurricanes football program starting this fall.

“I’m very excited to announce our class today,” Richt said at Wednesday’s press conference. “We really hit across the board – all the position needs that we had. I thought we nailed it, and I am very excited about this class.”

Miami primarily addressed the quarterback, wide receiver and offensive line positions on offense.

N’Kosi Perry, from Vanguard High school in Ocala, is widely regarded as one of the best dual-threat quarterbacks in the country and will be fighting for the starting spot. Wide receivers Jeff Thomas and Mike Harley are both expected to become integral parts of the passing game early, as they will give the team the speed it has been looking for on the edges.

DeeJay Dallas, who played four different positions in high school, is known for his all-around athleticism and could possibly play wide receiver in the near future according to coaches. Offensive linemen Navaughn Donaldson and Kai-Leon Herbert will add to Miami’s depth and fill in holes when needed, especially those left by seniors.

“We got a great defense, so we need to help out from a scoring standpoint,” offensive coordinator Thomas Brown said. “Being to be able to come in and be productive consistently will be important moving forward.”

On defense, the Hurricanes spread out the recruiting at the defensive line, linebacker and defensive back positions.

D.J. Johnson, from Sacramento, Cal.,  is Miami’s highest-ranked defensive recruit. Amari Carter and Jonathan Garvin are expected to make an impact early on in the season to replace the holes left by senior defensive backs Corn Elder, Rayshawn Jenkins and Jamal Carter.

“I think that is now the challenge for all of them; it’s not so much what you can do talent-wise, it is really more about your mental make up to see how quickly you can acclimate yourself to the speed and the demands, mentally and physically, of the college game,” defensive coordinator Manny Diaz said.

“We know we need them to come in and do it right away. There is not a mentality to bring these guys in and [have them]sit the bench and redshirt. And, for sure in the backend, we need these guys to come in with the mentality that they can crack our lineup and make an impact right away.”

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached at @isaiah_km.

5 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Miami lands 24 signees on national signing day”

1. I’m not gonna get into that,” Mara said. “And that’s one of the reasons why I hesitated quite frankly in addressing all of you because you get into discussions like that and I don’t think it’s fair or appropriate. There are privacy issues here. There are sensitive, emotional issues that affect families.” The rebrand, which will be rolled out over the next five years, was commissioned by NWEC, which represents over 600 retailers in London’s West End

2. ?????? says:

谢谢大家的生日祝福!同时祝我的小伙伴们在2017年在上帝的祝福当中健康快乐!平安幸福!这张照片的名字叫沙发和我,不错不错。。看到九吉

3. ?????? says:

上海SEO王广清博客,分享上海SEO实战经验与优化技巧,欢迎大家访问,共同进步。提供关键词快速排名,上海seo优化,上海百度优化等一切上海搜索引擎优&#2127

4. seo?? says:

二、信任度层面: 能够与更多的可信度高的网站建立链接,对于seo来说也有很大的帮助。所以,这个也是很大网站的目标之一。 三、具体建议&#65306

5. Joseph L Bryant says:

okay fellas bring Miami back on the map and by all means that stop Florida state from kicking butts make it happen like the old days

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

This was a neat idea that Peter King’s Monday Morning Quarterback website rolled out just as NFL tra ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement harnesses technology to seek affordab ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...