Football, National Signing Day, Sports

Miami lands 24 signees on national signing day

Coach Mark Richt ended his first season at the University of Miami with five straight wins. He has now finished his first recruiting campaign at UM with a top-15 class. Twenty-four players, 16 from Florida, have officially signed to be members of the Hurricanes football program starting this fall.

“I’m very excited to announce our class today,” Richt said at Wednesday’s press conference. “We really hit across the board – all the position needs that we had. I thought we nailed it, and I am very excited about this class.”

Miami primarily addressed the quarterback, wide receiver and offensive line positions on offense.

N’Kosi Perry, from Vanguard High school in Ocala, is widely regarded as one of the best dual-threat quarterbacks in the country and will be fighting for the starting spot. Wide receivers Jeff Thomas and Mike Harley are both expected to become integral parts of the passing game early, as they will give the team the speed it has been looking for on the edges.

DeeJay Dallas, who played four different positions in high school, is known for his all-around athleticism and could possibly play wide receiver in the near future according to coaches. Offensive linemen Navaughn Donaldson and Kai-Leon Herbert will add to Miami’s depth and fill in holes when needed, especially those left by seniors.

“We got a great defense, so we need to help out from a scoring standpoint,” offensive coordinator Thomas Brown said. “Being to be able to come in and be productive consistently will be important moving forward.”

On defense, the Hurricanes spread out the recruiting at the defensive line, linebacker and defensive back positions.

D.J. Johnson, from Sacramento, Cal.,  is Miami’s highest-ranked defensive recruit. Amari Carter and Jonathan Garvin are expected to make an impact early on in the season to replace the holes left by senior defensive backs Corn Elder, Rayshawn Jenkins and Jamal Carter.

“I think that is now the challenge for all of them; it’s not so much what you can do talent-wise, it is really more about your mental make up to see how quickly you can acclimate yourself to the speed and the demands, mentally and physically, of the college game,” defensive coordinator Manny Diaz said.

“We know we need them to come in and do it right away. There is not a mentality to bring these guys in and [have them]sit the bench and redshirt. And, for sure in the backend, we need these guys to come in with the mentality that they can crack our lineup and make an impact right away.”

About Author

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

5 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Miami lands 24 signees on national signing day”

1. I’m not gonna get into that,” Mara said. “And that’s one of the reasons why I hesitated quite frankly in addressing all of you because you get into discussions like that and I don’t think it’s fair or appropriate. There are privacy issues here. There are sensitive, emotional issues that affect families.” The rebrand, which will be rolled out over the next five years, was commissioned by NWEC, which represents over 600 retailers in London’s West End

2. ?????? says:

谢谢大家的生日祝福!同时祝我的小伙伴们在2017年在上帝的祝福当中健康快乐!平安幸福!这张照片的名字叫沙发和我,不错不错。。看到九吉

3. ?????? says:

上海SEO王广清博客,分享上海SEO实战经验与优化技巧,欢迎大家访问,共同进步。提供关键词快速排名,上海seo优化,上海百度优化等一切上海搜索引擎优&#2127

4. seo?? says:

二、信任度层面: 能够与更多的可信度高的网站建立链接,对于seo来说也有很大的帮助。所以,这个也是很大网站的目标之一。 三、具体建议&#65306

5. Joseph L Bryant says:

okay fellas bring Miami back on the map and by all means that stop Florida state from kicking butts make it happen like the old days

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

Briadam Herrera continued his sparkling postseason run Friday at the IU Natatorium, finishing as the ...

The Hurricanes will welcome a talented field of teams to Cobb Stadium for the second of three home m ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team fell to Boston College, 6-1, Friday afternoon at the Flynn ...

The Miami Hurricanes dropped their series opener to No. 8 North Carolina Friday afternoon at Boshame ...