Supporting astronaut’s legacy of exploration

Eugene Cernan held a prestigious title that no one else shares. He was the last astronaut to walk on the moon on Dec. 7, 1972. His zest for further exploration and knowledge of uncharted territory is exactly what the current scientific community needs. Cernan believed that continued space exploration was crucial for the future generations of this nation and was fired up when NASA ended the space shuttle program in 2011. He testified to urge the government not to give up on space exploration and expressed how vital it would be for America in the years to come. He was particularly critical during former President Obama’s administration’s decision to end the pursuit of the Constellation program, which aimed to send astronauts to the moon and Mars, among other feats.

The decision to end the Constellation program halted not only new discoveries but also hindered the children of the future. Decisions like this are what discourage young science-loving children from being steadfast in pursuing their dreams. They hinder the tremendous potential of this nation’s brilliant minds to reach new heights. America is driven by its people’s various talents and aspirations, which should always be stimulated and never taken away. Whether it is atmospheric science, engineering or the arts, if we lose our passions we will lose what makes this country special and forfeit the example we set on a global scale.

Cernan’s death last week, at the age of 82, was a wake-up call for the scientific community. That is why so many people are now calling on Congress to reinstate the space shuttle program and begin funding as soon as possible. Like Cernan and so many Americans, I believe that scientific exploration of any uncharted territory is extremely important. We should never stop trying to learn more than we already know. That is the epitome of the American heart and spirit. We would never have accomplished certain monumental American goals without the thirst for knowledge that Cernan had. We should always have this nation’s progress at the forefront of our minds, and that includes space exploration because our children and grandchildren should know that there is so much more out there to be seen than just our little planet.

Nicole Macias is a freshman majoring in English.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user NASA on The Commons

Nicole Macias

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...