Columnists, Opinion, Vantage Point

Liberal ‘identity politics’ seeks to call out, not advance, hatred

President Donald Trump stated in his inaugural address, “So to all Americans … hear these words: You will never be ignored again.” However, to the many Americans who are part of marginalized groups, the rhetoric Trump has been using during the election, and for years preceding, does not reflect this inclusive intent.

The number of hateful harassment and intimidation incidents reported in the 10 days following the election reached a whopping 867, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. In New York City, the number of hate incidents reported in the two weeks following this election reached twice as many as the same two week period last year, according to a New York Times report.

One such hate incident that made national news occurred at the Starbucks across the street from our campus, where an irritated customer accused a barista of discriminating against him because he voted for Trump. Students have reported hate speech on their social media. These incidents often provoke incendiary political debates instead of support for the victims. It seems that these clashes stem from misunderstanding of what each side perceives to be hatred directed at it.

I am not here to lament Clinton’s loss, I have done my grieving and am ready to get to work in this new normal. But there are still lessons to be learned from this election, and the culture clash between liberals and conservatives is only worsening. To heal these wounds, it is worth revisiting the most infamous Clinton quote of the campaign: “You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic – you name it.”

Clinton herself preempts that the statement is a generalization and almost immediately apologized for it. By calling a full half of Trump’s supporters deplorable, she alienated well-meaning folks who do not hold hatred for their neighbors but simply feel like they lost their American dream after losing jobs, seeing healthcare costs rise and receiving little government support.

Some of those folks refer to liberals, labeling them as deplorable as “identity politics.” People feel as though the left is using these labels to appeal to fear in their minority coalition and, in doing so, is hatefully attacking the character and identity of Trump supporters.

Though understandable, this is a complete misreading of intentions.

Liberals are not spewing hatred when they call certain conservatives racist, sexist or homophobic. They are not generalizing to attack the character of well-meaning people. The intention in using those labels is to call out hatred on the part of others.

The alt-right attacks people for who they fundamentally are, for their unchangeable characteristics, such as race. That is hatred. When the left calls people “racist,” they mean to call out and shame those people, not for who they fundamentally are, but for the hateful beliefs they hold. This is a critical misunderstanding that will not be solved until people can get over their defensiveness and get to the root of each others’ meaning.

Annie Cappetta is a junior majoring in ecosystem science and policy and political science.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user VolunteerMatch.org

Annie Cappetta

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Liberal ‘identity politics’ seeks to call out, not advance, hatred”

1. “The number of hateful harassment and intimidation incidents reported in the 10 days following the election reached a whopping 867, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.”

How many “incidents” were reported in the ten days BEFORE the election? A whopping zero, because the SPLC didn’t create the anonymous reporting page on its website until the night before the election. Did the number of “incidents” increase or decrease after the election? Nobody knows because the point of the exercise was to create “post-election incidents” for fundraising purposes. When you start at zero, any increase is a “spike.”

How many of the SPLC’s “incidents” have been made available to the media for verification? A whopping zero. Except for a handful of incidents culled from the media, many of which sadly turned out to be hoaxes, ALL of the SPLC’s claims came into the company’s website where anyone on the planet could “report an incident” anonymously, with no verification whatsoever. And the SPLC isn’t releasing them. All we have is the company’s word on it, and frankly, that’s not good enough.

http://wp.me/pCLYZ-D1

On November 15, the SPLC published a disclaimer on the company website where they themselves admit that:

“These incidents, aside from news reports, are largely anecdotal.”

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/11/15/update-more-400-incidents-hateful-harassment-and-intimidation-election

Dec. 16: “The SPLC made every effort to verify each report, but many included in the count remain anecdotal.”

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/12/16/update-1094-bias-related-incidents-month-following-election

January 24, 2017, SPLC Intelligence Director Heidi Beirich in a Slate podcast:

“I would imagine that a share of the incidents we have collected, right, will eventually turn out to be based on nothing, or, a bit of hysteria fueled by the fear people felt after the election. I mean, I think that is a fair point. I’m sure that as we dig in the data that’s exactly what we are going to find out.

I still think… when all is said and done, that we will find that a lot of this stuff was substantiated. But it remains to be seen, right? It remains to be seen.”

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/gist/2017/01/southern_poverty_law_center_s_heidi_beirich_on_tracking_hate_incidents.html

It remains to be seen all right. This isn’t hard data. It’s anecdotal hearsay.

an·ec·do·tal
    adjective: anecdotal

1. (of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/anecdotal

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...