Basketball, Sports

Turnovers hurt Hurricanes’ offense, women’s basketball defeated by Syracuse Orange 81-48

The No. 14 Canes never had control of this game. Miami suffered 23 turnovers that led to 25 points for the Syracuse Orange, ultimately leading to an 81-48 blowout loss to the opposition in the Carrier Dome.

The Hurricanes struggled against the Orange press from the opening tip, shooting just 30 percent from the field.

“Their length was an issue for us,” Head Coach Katie Meier said after the game. “When you have a team that’s this long and then just as quick to cut off some of the gaps we were trying to attack, things can fall apart really quickly.”

Miami (14-5, 3-4 ACC) could not stop the Syracuse offense either. The Orange (14-7, 5-3 ACC) backcourt dominated the game. Guards Brittney Sykes and Alexis Peterson, the highest scoring backcourt in the country, combined to score 53 points.

“I would consider them two of the best guards in the country,” Coach Meier said of Sykes and Peterson. “I have tons of admiration for how hard they play and if they make a mistake, it doesn’t last.”

UM jumped out to an early 6-3 lead with eight minutes to go in the first quarter, but that would be the last time Miami would hold the advantage. Syracuse went on a 17-8 run to end the period and never looked back, going on to outscore Miami in all four quarters.

Despite the Canes’ struggle to score, the team had three players in double figures. Senior captain guard Adrienne Motley and sophomore forward/center Emese Hof led the Hurricanes with 12 points apiece.

Miami returns home to play the University of North Carolina at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Watsco Center.

Matt Walter

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...