Dear V

Dear V: Bedroom bliss going limp

I’ve been with my boyfriend for a few months and we recently had sex for the first time. Before things got heated in the bedroom, he warned me about an issue: he has erectile dysfunction, or, he has trouble “keeping it up” in the bedroom.

He said he was diagnosed by a doctor a few years ago and he takes medication to improve it as much as possible. But the first time we had sex, it took him 20 minutes to get it up, and things didn’t last long after that.

I hate to say this – but I’m considering dumping him. I care about my boyfriend, but how are we supposed to be intimate if we can’t have normal sex? Sex is important to me, and I’m used to having it daily. In this relationship, that might become a struggle.

I don’t want either of us to get too attached if I’m going to have to dump him eventually. Should I just do it now or try to make things work?

Sincerely,

Worried Wendy

Dear Wendy,

Dropping people you care about at the first sign of an incompatibility isn’t the answer.

If you really care about him, try to find a compromise before kicking your boyfriend to the curb. I’m not saying to stay in a relationship you’re not happy in, but at least give him a shot, will ya?

While the folks you tend to see in Viagra commercials are older, ED is surprisingly more common in younger men than you’d expect: ED affects about 26 percent of men under 40, according to the Journal of Sexual Medicine.

Your boyfriend’s doc has likely already explained this to him, but high blood pressure, diabetes, hormonal disorders and being overweight can all worsen the sitch. Make sure he knows this and be there to support him.

Another way you can help your guy get things going in the bedroom? Ease his performance anxiety.

Make the sex as low-pressure and comfortable as possible for both of you. Turn on some soft lighting and music to set the mood or, if your guy isn’t into ambience, just have a heart-to-heart conversation with him.

Foreplay is essential, too: if you can help take the pressure off to get things going immediately, he won’t get as frustrated with himself. And don’t forget you can always experiment with toys in the bedroom.

After trying all of this, if you’re still certain you can’t handle this kind of issue, ending things is easier sooner than later. The more invested you both get, the harder it will be, and your boyfriend deserves someone who’ll accept and work with his minor imperfections.

Don’t let getting it up get you down, and don’t let going soft be too hard on you.

– V

Advice Columnist

Randy Ableman has built something special with his Miami Hurricanes diving program. Here’s why: Ther ...

Two days after the University of Miami football team played its spring game, coach Mark Richt stayed ...

The University of Miami’s most anticipated Atlantic Coast Conference baseball series of the season e ...

The University of Miami announced Sunday evening that sophomore safety Jeff James, Jr., has parted w ...

UM’s 2018 recruiting class, already regarded as the best in the country, added two more gems over th ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...

Malcolm Grant plays for Tajfun Sentjur in Slovenia ...

The University of Miami Department of Athletics continued to earn high praise with its student-athle ...

The University of Miami men's tennis match against Virginia Tech has been cancelled due to heav ...

The series finale between Miami and Florida State at Mark Light Field was cancelled due to inclement ...