Football, Sports

Brad Kaaya to enter 2017 NFL Draft

He began as the first true freshman to start in a UM season opener since 2008. He ended ranked as the all-time leading passer in Miami history with 9,968 passing yards. Junior quarterback Brad Kaaya made a huge impact on the program and on the school, and now he is leaving for the NFL.

“I think it’s pretty great,” junior Joe Reda said. “I know he kind of got pushed into working to meet expectations when he first came here. He had so much opposition at the beginning, so I think it’s really cool.”

Kaaya announced his decision to forgo his senior season at Miami and enter the 2017 NFL Draft on Jan. 2, days after being named Russell Athletic Bowl MVP in a 31-14 win over West Virginia.

“While I am looking forward to pursuing my future endeavors, I am going to miss our fans, media, students, administrators, coaches, families and most importantly my teammates, who were with me through the good times and the tough times,” Kaaya told hurricanesports.com.

When Kaaya arrived, Hurricanes football had been going through a major drought and was suffering from a loss of identity as a program. Kaaya helped put Miami back on the map and may have started the school’s rise back to national prominence.

“With Mark Richt coming in, there was a lot of potential for our football team to improve and that doesn’t happen in one year,” senior Andrea Vorlicek said. “So, I was hoping he would come back, but I also understand it and wish him the best of luck.”

Kaaya leaves a mark that transcends the football field. He had an effect on many students on campus in more ways than one.

“I’m really proud of how far he’s come,” senior Samantha Dowiarz said. “I know he’s been great for our football program and everyone appreciates it. I just hope he doesn’t forget where he came from. UM definitely helped him progress through his career and he should remember that wherever he goes.”

The great majority of UM students, although disappointed upon hearing about his departure, hope that Kaaya has a successful pro career.

“Obviously it’s unfortunate for us, but I think it’s a good move for him,” senior Brian Duranleau said. “I want to see him do well in the NFL. I think he will hold his own.”

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...