Football, Sports

Brad Kaaya to enter 2017 NFL Draft

He began as the first true freshman to start in a UM season opener since 2008. He ended ranked as the all-time leading passer in Miami history with 9,968 passing yards. Junior quarterback Brad Kaaya made a huge impact on the program and on the school, and now he is leaving for the NFL.

“I think it’s pretty great,” junior Joe Reda said. “I know he kind of got pushed into working to meet expectations when he first came here. He had so much opposition at the beginning, so I think it’s really cool.”

Kaaya announced his decision to forgo his senior season at Miami and enter the 2017 NFL Draft on Jan. 2, days after being named Russell Athletic Bowl MVP in a 31-14 win over West Virginia.

“While I am looking forward to pursuing my future endeavors, I am going to miss our fans, media, students, administrators, coaches, families and most importantly my teammates, who were with me through the good times and the tough times,” Kaaya told hurricanesports.com.

When Kaaya arrived, Hurricanes football had been going through a major drought and was suffering from a loss of identity as a program. Kaaya helped put Miami back on the map and may have started the school’s rise back to national prominence.

“With Mark Richt coming in, there was a lot of potential for our football team to improve and that doesn’t happen in one year,” senior Andrea Vorlicek said. “So, I was hoping he would come back, but I also understand it and wish him the best of luck.”

Kaaya leaves a mark that transcends the football field. He had an effect on many students on campus in more ways than one.

“I’m really proud of how far he’s come,” senior Samantha Dowiarz said. “I know he’s been great for our football program and everyone appreciates it. I just hope he doesn’t forget where he came from. UM definitely helped him progress through his career and he should remember that wherever he goes.”

The great majority of UM students, although disappointed upon hearing about his departure, hope that Kaaya has a successful pro career.

“Obviously it’s unfortunate for us, but I think it’s a good move for him,” senior Brian Duranleau said. “I want to see him do well in the NFL. I think he will hold his own.”

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached at @isaiah_km.

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on fourth-ranked and third-seeded Astra Sharma Wednesd ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...