Administration, News

Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc to become next president of George Washington University

Executive Vice President and Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc

Executive Vice President and Provost Thomas J. LeBlanc will leave the University of Miami to become president of George Washington University, starting Aug. 1. The announcement was made in a message from UM President Julio Frenk.

“Tom has been a great partner and friend throughout my presidency, starting from his service as interim president prior to my arrival. Although we will miss him, we are very proud of this new recognition of his accomplished career,” said Frenk in an e-Veritas newsletter.

President Frenk will work with the Faculty Senate and the Board of Trustees to form a search committee to find LeBlanc’s successor.

Since his appointment in 2005, LeBlanc served as the chief academic officer and chief budget officer for UM. He oversaw and coordinated academic programs, research administration and funding, student affairs, admissions, and expenditures throughout UM’s 11 schools and colleges. LeBlanc also played a role in mapping out President Frenk’s “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative.

During his tenure, UM witnessed new building projects at the Coral Gables campus, the Miller School of Medicine and the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science. LeBlanc was fundamental in the founding of new institutes and centers at UM, such as the Center for Computational Science and the Office of Civic and Community Engagement.

At the same time, LeBlanc, who holds a Ph.D in computer science from from the University of Wisconsin–Madison, was a professor in the departments of computer science, electrical and computer engineering.

“The University of Miami has given me so much more than I could ever hope to repay, through the professional opportunities and close friendships developed over the past 12 years. My wife and I have grown to love the university, the city of Miami, and the wonderful people of South Florida,” said LeBlanc in the e-Veritas newsletter. “As we look forward with excitement to the tremendous opportunity at George Washington University, we will leave with many fond memories, warm friendships, and pride in the progress that we have all forged together. Go ‘Canes!”

Sherman Hewitt

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...