Football, Sports

Breaking down the Hurricanes season by the numbers

As the Miami Hurricanes prepare to battle No. 16 West Virginia in the Russell Athletic Bowl in Orlando, let’s crunch some numbers to see how the Canes performed throughout the season.

Miami (8-4, 5-3) had a sandwich season with four losses stuffed between a set of four wins. Looking at the scores throughout each game, there is one pattern that stands out the most: if the team was losing going into the fourth quarter, it just could never crawl back.

That fourth quarter tradition, where the Canes roar to life to seal a game or make a dramatic comeback, just didn’t happen this season. Even when Miami did score, the fourth quarter proved to be the team’s lowest scoring quarter on average. It would reach a crescendo by the third, but then fall off, scoring-wise.

The Hurricanes’ scoring potential also fell during the four-game losing streak. Throughout the season, junior quarterback Brad Kaaya took 24 sacks. However, 75 percent of those sacks occurred during the losing streak, with Virginia Tech handing Miami a hefty eight on its own (the most in one game this season).

The team’s running game also took a nosedive during the losing streak. Throughout the season, Miami averaged 4.58 yards per run. The average during those four games, however, was only 1.98 yards per run, less than half the overall average. At the same time, the Canes’ opponents gained more yards per run during the losing streak than other parts of the season: 4.65 yards during those four losing games compared to 3.45 yards overall in the rest.

With 16 wins, Miami leads its 19-game history with West Virginia. The last time the Mountaineers beat the Hurricanes was in 1997, and the Canes have held a six-game win streak ever since. However, the Mountaineers (10-2, 6-2) are coming off a hot season and may give the Hurricanes a run for their money at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday in Camping World Stadium.

Data Source: HurricaneSports.com

Sherman Hewitt

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...