Football, Sports

Breaking down the Hurricanes season by the numbers

As the Miami Hurricanes prepare to battle No. 16 West Virginia in the Russell Athletic Bowl in Orlando, let’s crunch some numbers to see how the Canes performed throughout the season.

Miami (8-4, 5-3) had a sandwich season with four losses stuffed between a set of four wins. Looking at the scores throughout each game, there is one pattern that stands out the most: if the team was losing going into the fourth quarter, it just could never crawl back.

That fourth quarter tradition, where the Canes roar to life to seal a game or make a dramatic comeback, just didn’t happen this season. Even when Miami did score, the fourth quarter proved to be the team’s lowest scoring quarter on average. It would reach a crescendo by the third, but then fall off, scoring-wise.

The Hurricanes’ scoring potential also fell during the four-game losing streak. Throughout the season, junior quarterback Brad Kaaya took 24 sacks. However, 75 percent of those sacks occurred during the losing streak, with Virginia Tech handing Miami a hefty eight on its own (the most in one game this season).

The team’s running game also took a nosedive during the losing streak. Throughout the season, Miami averaged 4.58 yards per run. The average during those four games, however, was only 1.98 yards per run, less than half the overall average. At the same time, the Canes’ opponents gained more yards per run during the losing streak than other parts of the season: 4.65 yards during those four losing games compared to 3.45 yards overall in the rest.

With 16 wins, Miami leads its 19-game history with West Virginia. The last time the Mountaineers beat the Hurricanes was in 1997, and the Canes have held a six-game win streak ever since. However, the Mountaineers (10-2, 6-2) are coming off a hot season and may give the Hurricanes a run for their money at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday in Camping World Stadium.

Data Source: HurricaneSports.com

Sherman Hewitt

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...