Campus Life, Community, Health, News

Miami-Dade County officially cleared of Zika virus local transmission

Florida Governor Rick Scott announced in a press conference Friday morning that Miami Beach, the last part of Miami to be declared an area of active Zika virus transmission, was cleared. Scott held the conference at the Betsy Hotel on South Beach. The announcement comes after months of the state battling mosquitoes with aerial spraying, ground spraying and draining of standing water.

South Florida was the first region in the mainland United States to be hit by active transmission of Zika, with the core of the problem sitting in Miami Beach. The popular Wynwood Art District was also under close watch throughout the summer and into the fall.

About Author

Isabella Cueto

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...