Community, Edge, Food

Cafés offer caffeine jolts, study breaks

Tea & Poets, inside Sunset Place, offers a full-service tea and coffee bar along with plenty of space to study or meet up with friends. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Miami has experienced a coffee boom since the opening of Panther Coffee in 2011. With cafes springing up across the city, there are dozens of potential study spots just a short walk or drive from UM. Over the summer, several newcomers made their mark on the scene.

Check out these up-and-coming establishments for your caffeine fix before they’re on everyone else’s radar!

Only a few minutes away from campus is Tea & Poets (5701 Sunset Drive #126), which moved into the former Delia’s storefront in Sunset Place in July. The shop features a full-service tea and coffee bar, including specialty blends and daily specials, and it’s also home to an artisan craft market of local vendors. Free Wi-Fi and ample seating makes this a great spot for a day of studying; but if you’re looking to procrastinate, Tea & Poets hosts frequent events, like charity yoga, open mics and paint nights, all of which offer a break from schoolwork.

Adventurous coffee lovers should seek out All Day (1035 N. Miami Ave.) in downtown Miami. This hipster haven, founded by a Panther Coffee alumna Camila Ramos, has a contemporary, minimalist aesthetic with hanging branches for decoration and the coffee menu displayed in green neon. This menu features not only trendy staples like cold brew but also nitrogen-infused coffee, “royal tea” made from dried coffee fruit and a seasonal specialty – currently a rosemary limeade cold brew. As the name implies, breakfast is always served, so enjoy tres leches French toast, a sandwich with house-made pastrami or a skillet of baked eggs while you catch up on reading for class.

White Star Cafe is a quiet place to study and snack, featuring a selection of organic, gluten-free and non-GMO foods. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

Another new arrival to Sunset, White Star Cafe (8755 Sunset Drive), should appeal to Canes with dietary restrictions. Fuel your studies with its extensive selection of gluten-free desserts or with heartier fare made with an emphasis on organic, non-GMO ingredients. Even the coffee is fair trade, and lattes can be made with a variety of dairy-free milk options.

A bonus option for tea lovers, Miami institution JoJo Tea has opened a tasting room just outside Little Havana (951 SW. 42nd Ave., Suite 305). On Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, it hosts 90-minute tea tastings, taking visitors through a variety of flavors and the stories behind their harvests. Make a reservation, and de-stress after all your hard work.

Madelyn Paquette

The Miami Hurricanes are 2-0 when these two things happen: Michael Mediavilla starts, and Michael Bu ...

If Miami Hurricanes fans were hoping to hear that one quarterback charged forward with such authorit ...

The Florida State Seminoles came through in the clutch. The Miami Hurricanes did not. That pretty mu ...

The Jerry’s Pizza of Mark Richt’s youth is gone, but Fran’s Chicken Haven — “If the Colonel had our ...

Hey, Hurricane basketball fans, do you ever sit around and wonder whatever happened to Guillermo Dia ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

Junior Kristiana Yao is the first named at UM in the last 33 years. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team is set to play its final match of the regular season ...

Ebony Morrison & women's 4x100m won at Baylor, while Gabrielle Hesslau & Sean Grossman ...

Sunday's finale between the Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles (April 23) will be pla ...

The No. 39 Miami women's tennis team will play its final match of the regular season Sunday at ...

On a night when he connected for a grand slam against archrival Florida State in front of a sold-out ...