Columnists, Opinion, The Maturity Column

Make most of your plane ride home, choose window seat

Devices

When you’re flying home this break, you are going to have to make a crucial decision: the window seat or the aisle seat. And, obviously, the window seat is the answer.

Now, to some, this may sound trivial. You’ll say, “It’s only a few hours… I’m just going to sleep off my post-finals coma.” However, you just don’t understand. No matter your plane strategy (mine involves selling ear plugs to the aisle near a baby), this selection serves as the beginning of your winter break. Much like birth, you need a peaceful entrance in order to portend a happy life/recess.

Before we begin, I realize I didn’t list the middle seat as a choice. This is because it’s not an option. You never want to be squished in there, unless you have a passion for “elbow hockey.” And judging by the state you chose for school, I’m gonna go ahead and guess that’s not your sport.

The window seat is without a doubt the way to go. First off, you are not a gofer to the people who need to visit the potty. When you are in the aisle seat, somebody always has to get up and awkwardly inch past you. And, when you are flying from Florida, this means one thing: old people – who are either going to stand up and urinate approximately 40 times, or urinate in their adult diapers 40 times. If you had just picked the window seat, you could have slept through this whole dilemma.

Which brings me to my next point. With the window seat, you can just plop your head on the wall and nap that post-finals coma right off. You can even gaze out of a window, and see the millions of Americans below who voted for Donald Trump. Their heads may all look small, but that’s their actual brain size. In the aisle seat, there is no such wall to rest on … unless the Trump supporters climb up to make you one.

For my last point, I have to address the main concern people have: leg room. I get this, since I am six-foot-two (and can dunk, ladies). However, don’t let the pesky aisle seat once again fool you. That legroom is “sitting on a throne of lies.” If you swing your appendages into the aisle to stretch out, you’re gonna have to constantly move them back for both the food cart and the fleet of elderly bathroom goers, which I call a fleet because I can only assume they are coming in those little scooters you see in the supermarket …

So, this winter break, seal that spot next to the glass pane immediately. Actually, wait, don’t take that seat from me. I take it back … aisle seat is better!

Danny New is a senior majoring in broadcast journalism. The Maturity Column runs alternate Thursdays.

Danny New

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...