Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes dominate in Miami Thanksgiving Tournament

Junior forward Keyanna Harris (0) passes a Charlotte defender during the Canes' 80-46 win in November. Joshua White // Staff Photographer

Junior forward Keyanna Harris (0) passes a Charlotte defender during the Canes’ 80-46 win in November. Joshua White // Staff Photographer

Behind an impressive showing by tournament M.V.P. Keyona Hayes, the University of Miami women’s basketball team came out on top to win the Miami Thanksgiving Tournament.

Hayes was joined by teammate guards Laura Cornelius and Adrienne Motley as part of the All-Tournament Team that led Miami to victories over Grambling State and Texas Tech.

“We can adapt,” Head Coach Katie Meier said of her team’s performance. “That is one thing about a veteran team; not only do they know the system, but they know the wrinkles. It is still November and we understand the third look in a play.”

Miami controlled play from start to finish against its first opponent, holding Grambling State to just 39 percent shooting from the floor. The Hurricanes would hit 50 percent of their shots from the field to win the opening contest 89-61.

Senior guard Jessica Thomas dropped a team-high 14 points and dished out five assists, while Motley added 12 points and five assists of her own. Motley’s double-digit tally moved her to No. 10 on the all-time points list in program history.

“She has been a consistent player for us,” Meier said of Motley. “She has logged so many minutes and has had a lot of responsibilities throughout her entire career. I am really proud of her; she has been a joy to coach.”

The Hurricanes bench thrived against the Lady Tigers, outscoring their reserves 39-6.

In the finale against Texas Tech, Miami (5-1) jumped out to an early first half advantage and headed into the break up 31-23, but the Lady Raiders came out of the intermission firing on all cylinders.

Texas Tech opened the third period with a 9-0 run to take the lead briefly, but Miami would outscore its opponent 43-24 the rest of the way, as the team claimed its 21st victory all-time in the tournament.

“I don’t know what happened at halftime, but it seemed like we were just zombies,” Meier said. “Laura came in and just was a huge lift. But, once again, another double-double by Key Hayes. The seniors really responded in the second half.”

Cornelius provided a spark off the bench for the Hurricanes, leading all scorers with a career-high 22 points in just 22 minutes, draining six of 10 shots from behind the arc. Hayes dominated on the attack, stuffing the stat sheet with her second double-double in three games. She scored 12 points and pulled down 10 rebounds, six of which came on the offensive end, in the championship game.

Motley continues to climb up the all-time scoring list, notching 14 points to move into the No. 9 spot. Thomas chipped in 10 points and dished out a game-high four assists.

No. 18 Miami will travel to the Value City Arena in Columbus, Ohio, to square off against the No. 9 Ohio State Buckeyes in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge at 7 p.m. on Thursday.

Josh White

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Hurricanes dominate in Miami Thanksgiving Tournament”

1. TicketsNow is the Internet’s ideal source for premium sports, concert and theater
    tickets.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...