Columnists, Opinion, Upon Further Review

Female film directors more motivated by artistic control than profit

“We want to make sure that when we bring a female director in to do ‘Star Wars,’ they’re set up for success. They’re gigantic films, and you can’t come into them with essentially no experience.”

Much has been made of this comment by Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy, the woman presently behind the wheel of the “Star Wars” franchise. The corner of the Twittersphere that preoccupies itself with “Star Wars” took offense at her statement, off-put by the implication that women aren’t “ready” for the franchise.

I, however, feel there’s another, more probable reason behind the lack of women directing these films: female directors have better things to do.

As a motion pictures major, it would be my dream to helm such a big-budget blockbuster. But the reality is that the current incarnations of some of these franchises, including “Star Wars” and the Marvel Universe, are not exactly a breeding ground for the creative freedoms that many directors crave.

Both of these mega-franchises are owned and ultimately controlled by Disney, which is a corporation, not an artistic haven. They have a game plan, and filmmakers brought onboard have to be okay with being slotted into that plan; another cog in the ever-churning Disney machine.

Now, for some directors, this may be a fun prospect. Filmmakers looking to rake in some Disney-sized profits while working within the iconic “Star Wars” universe might see such an opportunity as a pleasant stop between personal gigs. But these directors are, overwhelmingly, male and white.

Women in Hollywood struggle disproportionately to get their films made. When an artist has to work twice as long and hard to make their work come to fruition, every project becomes more precious. Most female directors working in Hollywood probably aren’t willing to spend years working on a project when they don’t have real control. When each film you make has to be a labor of love, you cannot afford to sacrifice years on something you cannot call your own.

Directing a Disney movie isn’t the pinnacle of directorial achievement. While it would be nice to see some non-male perspectives injected into these franchises, the truth of the matter is that female voices in Hollywood are scarce. We should be less concerned about getting a woman to direct franchises developed by men, and more concerned with getting stories originated by female creatives onto the big screen.

Andrew Allen is a senior majoring in communications. Upon Further Review runs alternate Thursdays.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user thomashendele

Andrew Allen

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...