Basketball, Sports

Miami basketball falls to No. 21 Iowa State 73-56 in first loss of the season

Before the start of the season, Head Coach Jim Larrañaga said that the team was raw. It showed on Black Friday as the Hurricanes committed 19 turnovers in a 73-56 loss to the No. 21 Iowa State Cyclones in the semifinals of the AdvoCare Invitational.

After a competitive first half that had the two teams neck-and-neck, Miami (4-1) went flat on both ends in the second half, going scoreless for a six-minute stretch and getting outscored 38-27 in the period.

The Canes cut the deficit to two at the 13:53 mark of the second half with a layup from freshman guard Bruce Brown, but that would be the closest the team would get. The Cyclones (5-0) went on a 10-0 run from that point, and the Canes would not recover.

The Hurricanes struggled shooting from deep, which made all the difference offensively. Miami shot a measly 13 percent from three-point territory, while Iowa State shot 42 percent from long range.

Iowa State’s leading scorer Monte Morris was in foul trouble for the majority of the contest and only scored six points, but Miami could not take advantage, instead allowing guard Deonte Burton to score 21 points on 50 percent shooting.

A bright spot for the Canes was junior guard Ja’Quan Newton, who continues to show his growth as a player. Newton put up 21 points on 9-13 shooting, his second straight 20-plus point performance.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached at @isaiah_km.

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...