Football, Sports

Hurricanes football seniors look to make most of their final games

They came here as top recruits and got their start as true freshmen under Al Golden. This season under Head Coach Mark Richt, they make up the veteran core of the Miami Hurricanes defense. Senior defensive backs Jamal Carter, Corn Elder and Rayshawn Jenkins are now preparing for their final three games as Canes.

“I guess it hasn’t hit me yet,” Jenkins said. “I just want to go into this game and play it the best I can. I’m not gonna overthink it.”

The trio has been a staple in the Miami defense for years and has taken on a significant leadership role as it has grown in experience. With a defense this season that has featured multiple freshmen, the seniors’ positions as leaders on the field have been that much more important and have paid dividends, despite the midseason struggles.

Jenkins came to Miami as a three-star recruit from St. Petersburg, Florida. He committed in 2011, turning down an offer from defensive powerhouse Alabama to come to the U. Jenkins has come into his own as a leader and credits his veteran counterparts for the progress the defense has made.

“Me, Corn Elder and Jamal Carter, I feel like we’ve really taken our roles and just, you know, kind of been those anchors of the defense,” Jenkins said.

Jamal Carter, a local four-star recruit, has a slightly different take on the final games of his college career.

“I’m trying to go all out for these,” Carter said.

Carter said that going out with a “bang” and continuing to be a role model for his younger teammates are his main goals as he approaches the end. He wants to finish strong and show the freshmen how to close out a season that may not have gone as well as the team wanted.

Elder, a frequent captain, is perhaps the most highly touted of the three for a professional future. With an NFL career likely ahead of him, his mantra for his last ride is to simply enjoy it. 

“It’s been a fun four years, we just gotta end it out right,” Elder said.

Elder is not letting the emotions get to him and is more focused on making the last games count. As for his role in guiding his younger teammates, he always makes a point to let his actions speak louder than his words.

“Just try to lead by example,” Elder said. “It’s easier to talk about it, but actually doing it, that’s the best thing to do.”

Elder leads the team in tackles, and Jenkins leads the team in interceptions so far this season. Both hope that the example they’ve set this year leaves an impression on the rest of the defensive unit that will last even after they graduate.

Danny LaRose

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...