Columnists, Election 2016, Opinion, The Maturity Column

In Trump’s America, opinions are now facts

Welcome to the first edition of the Maturity Column: Fact Section.

With the election of Donald J. Trump to the Oval Office, we have now set a new president precedent that opinions are actually facts – and therefore the Opinion Section will now be referred to as the Fact Section.

Donald Trump, the man who has pinned President Obama as a foreign-born Muslim and Hillary Clinton as a prison-bound “nasty woman,” has become notorious for preaching his own thoughts and conceptions as legitimate truths – even though his opinions have more flip-flops than a freshman communal shower.

However, this is old news. Despite multiple fact checkers correcting his claims during the debates, the American people have voted him in – and I accept that. Which is why, for now on, I will be following our new leader, and shall rename this portion of the Hurricane, the Fact Section: where all opinions shall be accepted as absolute.

Usually, I can make whatever claim I want, since this is all just based on my thoughts – like when I debated if peeing in the shower was a deal breaker for relationships (note: I really did write that column, for some reason they let me). But now, this is hard-hitting, nitty-gritty journalism. So, let’s talk facts!

For example, did you know that Nickelback is statistically not a bad band? All the data my ears have collected portends that their songs don’t all “sound the same,” and it’s just that lead-singer Chad Kroeger’s voice only has one pitch – similar to the Muppet, Animal. I’m sorry if you disagree, but, again, these are all just facts.

Also, how about that sushi is an objectively vulgar collection of raw, slimy sea tongue, served with spicy, green Play-Doh? My own research shows that everyone urinates in the ocean, so, if you are eating uncooked fish, you are consuming toilet-tinis for dinner. Sorry to burst your bubble tea!

And, of course, we can’t forget that Five Guys and Shake Shack both have mathematically-proven over-priced beef. Their $7.00 burgers present a one-dollar-per-bite ratio, which, as per the Danny New Book of Beef, is below satisfactory standards for all Americans.

Now, this is usually the part where my editor, Annie, in all of her glory, will tell me that I can’t print this because I just exercised defamation and incorporated lies about a company to change people’s opinions. But hey, it’s just my opinion, which also just so happens to be fact.

So, thank you for reading, I know you enjoyed this – because I just said you did.

Danny New is a senior majoring in broadcast journalism. The Maturity Column runs alternate Thursdays.

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user stux.

Danny New

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “In Trump’s America, opinions are now facts”

1. Leo says:

Danny New, this is an ill informed and childish article. I hope you do not consider writing as one of your strengths, and your career plans are in another field.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...