Sports, Volleyball

Haak, Strantzali lead Hurricanes volleyball to 3-1 victory over Boston College Eagles

The Miami Hurricanes women’s volleyball team claimed their second victory of the weekend in a 3-1 win against Boston College on Sunday afternoon. The Canes dominated the four-set match throughout and capped off a successful bounce-back weekend.

Sophomore outside hitter Anna Haak and junior outside hitter Olga Strantzali took over the game for Miami (13-15, 7-9 ACC). Haak finished her day with 18 points and 14 kills, while Strantzali recorded 14 kills of her own.

Haak jumpstarted Miami’s attack in the first set with a flurry of kills for which Boston College (8-18, 3-13 ACC) had no answer. Haak’s play fueled the Canes throughout the rest of the set, as others improved their play as time went on, particularly while serving. On its way to a commanding 25-15 first-set victory, Miami racked up multiple aces against the Eagles and ended the set with an impressive .522 hitting percentage.

Strantzali was the star of the second set, recording multiple kills at the start. With her help, the team tallied four blocks, which was a huge part of an overall strong defensive performance that was key to winning a close second set 25-21.

After dropping a back-and-forth third set, the Canes jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead in the fourth and didn’t look back. Haak’s and Strantzali’s continued dominant play combined with stout team defense guided Miami to an easy victory. The two racked up a total of seven blocks in the set, putting them at 15 for the match.

After controlling a combined six out of eight sets between their two matches this past weekend, the Canes will look to wrap up their last road trip of the season in similar fashion. The team will face off against Wake Forest at 6:30 p.m. on Friday in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

Cody Brown

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team came up short against No. 34 Duke University, 4-1, Th ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team is set to open ACC Championship play Friday afterno ...