Sports, Volleyball

Haak, Strantzali lead Hurricanes volleyball to 3-1 victory over Boston College Eagles

The Miami Hurricanes women’s volleyball team claimed their second victory of the weekend in a 3-1 win against Boston College on Sunday afternoon. The Canes dominated the four-set match throughout and capped off a successful bounce-back weekend.

Sophomore outside hitter Anna Haak and junior outside hitter Olga Strantzali took over the game for Miami (13-15, 7-9 ACC). Haak finished her day with 18 points and 14 kills, while Strantzali recorded 14 kills of her own.

Haak jumpstarted Miami’s attack in the first set with a flurry of kills for which Boston College (8-18, 3-13 ACC) had no answer. Haak’s play fueled the Canes throughout the rest of the set, as others improved their play as time went on, particularly while serving. On its way to a commanding 25-15 first-set victory, Miami racked up multiple aces against the Eagles and ended the set with an impressive .522 hitting percentage.

Strantzali was the star of the second set, recording multiple kills at the start. With her help, the team tallied four blocks, which was a huge part of an overall strong defensive performance that was key to winning a close second set 25-21.

After dropping a back-and-forth third set, the Canes jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead in the fourth and didn’t look back. Haak’s and Strantzali’s continued dominant play combined with stout team defense guided Miami to an easy victory. The two racked up a total of seven blocks in the set, putting them at 15 for the match.

After controlling a combined six out of eight sets between their two matches this past weekend, the Canes will look to wrap up their last road trip of the season in similar fashion. The team will face off against Wake Forest at 6:30 p.m. on Friday in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

Cody Brown

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...