University of Miami Alumnus Reince Priebus named Trump’s Chief of Staff

President-elect Donald Trump has chosen University of Miami alumnus Reince Priebus to be his White House Chief of Staff — a position which oversees the Executive Office of the President.

Priebus, currently the Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairman, graduated cum laude in 1998 from the UM School of Law. During his time at the university, Priebus was an active participant in the school, serving as president of the Student Bar Association.

Raised most of his life in Wisconsin, Priebus was the chairman of the Republican Party of Wisconsin before being promoted to be the RNC Chairman. Considered a Washington insider with a close friendship to another Wisconsin native, House Speaker Paul Ryan, Priebus’ job is to work closely with both Trump and Ryan to pass legislation on the Republican agenda during Trump’s presidency.

The announcement of Priebus’ promotion to Chief of Staff comes four days after Trump, a Washington outsider, defeated Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton, a Democratic Establishment figure, in the Presidential General Election. Polls across the nation leading up to Nov. 8 predicted Clinton’s percent chances of defeating Trump in the high 80s. Trump went on to win both Florida and Wisconsin. Both states helped him obtain the 270 electoral votes needed to clinch the presidency.

Priebus has long been one of the many names speculated to take leadership positions in Trump’s cabinet as one of his closest aides throughout the campaign. Priebus traveled with Trump around the country, often introducing the then Republican nominee before rallies, including in Florida. Priebus joined the Trump campaign for its last rally held in Miami six days prior to Nov. 8.

Featured photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons user Gage Skidmore. 

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “University of Miami Alumnus Reince Priebus named Trump’s Chief of Staff”

1. Canes4Trump says:

Good job Reince! We’re all very proud of you :)

GO TRUMP!

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...