Election 2016, Opinion

How Trump can redeem his campaign mistakes during his presidency

Feature photo courtesy Flickr user Michael Vadon. https://www.flickr.com/photos/80038275@N00/ https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

Feature photo courtesy Flickr user Michael Vadon.

I have been a “Never Trump” conservative/libertarian throughout the entire 2016 election. Unfortunately, forces on both the left and right have allowed Donald Trump to win the election in a shocking landslide.

President-elect Trump is a true wild card: he wields a mind full of vulgarity and empty of substance. A number of his policy proposals carry the stench of populism that is distinctly anti-conservative. In short, I am highly skeptical of President-elect Trump. But, maybe foolishly, I do hold out hope that he may be able to overcome his various defects and govern successfully as a conservative. Here’s how:

Trump’s most important task is to nominate and push through confirmation of conservative Supreme Court justices. This is non-negotiable. The list of potential nominees Trump has released is promising, but I remain skeptical about his commitment to follow through if political pressures begin to mount against him. If Trump nominates moderate or leftist justices, his presidency will be a failure.

Trump needs to repeal the failing Affordable Care Act, better know as Obamacare, and not replace it. Trump has floated the idea of replacing it with a “single-payer” system. This would be disastrous, as well as anti-conservative.

Trump should lead the charge to balance the budget. Conservatives have been unsuccessful in reigning in government spending. This is their shot. With control of the White House and both chambers of Congress, Republicans can balance the budget by cutting government programs, especially welfare. This is easier said than done, but is necessary for the future of the country.

Lower individual and business tax rates are a necessity. High taxes violate property rights and hurt businesses. There is no reason for Trump to fail here.

Trump needs to stop playing political footsie with Vladimir Putin. He needs to prevent Russian aggression in the Baltic states. Trump needs to commit to preventing Russian interference in the Baltics and reaffirm the United States commitment to NATO. If Trump’s rhetoric about Putin in the election is any indication of how his foreign policy will be handled, the next four years will be ruinous.

If President-elect Trump can accomplish even half the things on this list, he will be one of the greatest conservative presidents in modern political history. If not, the right faces destruction. As scary as it sounds, the future of conservatism is in Trump’s hands now.

Zach Gluckow is a freshman majoring in philosophy and political science.

Zach Gluckow

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...